Independence High School
Independence High School places among the top 20% of public schools in West Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 20%)
- Independence High School's student population of 620 students has declined by 5% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 41 teachers has declined by 12% over five school years.
|School Type||Magnet School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||620 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||41 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Independence High School's student:teacher ratio of 15:1 has increased from 14:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (WV)|
|Overall School Rank||--|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||15-19%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||45-49%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1||15:1|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Raleigh County s School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Coal City Coal City Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 269 students
900 Independence Road
Coal City, WV 25823
(304)683-5001 0.6 PK-5 269
- Sophia Independence Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 466 students
800 Independence Road
Sophia, WV 25921
(304)683-4542 0.7 6-8 466
- Crab Orchard Crab Orchard Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 300 students
1404 Robert C. Byrd Drive, Rt
Crab Orchard, WV 25827
(304)256-4577 2.9 PK-5 300
- Beckley Hollywood Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 286 students
412 Old Mill Road
Beckley, WV 25801
(304)256-4579 4.9 PK-5 286
- Mabscott Mabscott Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 254 students
104 Pershing Street
Mabscott, WV 25871
(304)256-4595 4.9 PK-5 254
Learn about the pros and cons surrounding year-round schools through studies arguing that students perform better in school without a summer break.
Your child’s education is not just his teacher’s responsibility. As a parent, you have the ability to supplement your child’s education at home and to help him succeed in school. Read on to learn some tips to help your child make the most of his education in 2020.
Childhood experiences shape who we become as adults, for good and bad. The new Surgeon General of California is pushing for childhood trauma screening in students in the hopes of resolving some of the issues that might later lead to the development of physical and mental health problems.