Independence High School
- Independence High School's student population of 637 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 35 teachers has declined by 25% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||637 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||35 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Independence High School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 644 schools in West Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 18:1 has increased from 14:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (WV)|
|Overall Testing Rank||#544 out of 644 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||20-24%|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||35-39%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||18:1||15:1|
|Two or more races|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Raleigh County Schools School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Coal City Coal City Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 268 students
900 Independence Road
Coal City, WV 25823
(304) 683-5001 0.6 PK-5 268
- Sophia Independence Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 453 students
800 Independence Road
Sophia, WV 25921
(304) 683-4542 0.7 6-8 453
- Crab Orchard Crab Orchard Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 290 students
1404 Robert C. Byrd Drive, Rt
Crab Orchard, WV 25827
(304) 256-4577 2.9 PK-5 290
- Beckley Hollywood Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 270 students
412 Old Mill Road
Beckley, WV 25801
(304) 256-4579 4.9 PK-5 270
Gangs, drugs, and guns may be more prevalent on public school campuses than parents think. Learn about the high percentage of public school students who are exposed to these dangers each day – and what parents can do to protect their kids.
President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper initiative aims to improve academic opportunities for students of color, especially African-American boys.
Learn about how public schools across the country are mandating community service hours in order to graduate.