Jonas E Salk Elementary School
Jonas E Salk Elementary School serves 433 students in grades Kindergarten-5.
Jonas E Salk Elementary School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Illinois for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 50% (which is higher than the Illinois state average of 33%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 42% (which is higher than the Illinois state average of 38%) for the 2018-19 school year.
Minority enrollment is 78% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is higher than the Illinois state average of 53% (majority Hispanic and Black).
- Grades: Kindergarten-5
- Students: 433 students
- Minority Enrollment: 78%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 30% in IL
- Math Proficiency: 50% (Top 20%)
- Reading Proficiency: 42% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), IL Dept. of Education
Jonas E Salk Elementary School's student population of 433 students has declined by 30% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Jonas E Salk Elementary School is ranked within the top 30% of all 3,655 schools in Illinois (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Jonas E Salk Elementary School is 0.72, which is more than the diversity score at state average of 0.68. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (IL)
Overall Testing Rank
#905 out of 3655 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
View the Jonas E Salk Elementary School yearly calendar below. Note key dates such as:
First Day of School (Grades K-12)
August 18, 2022 (Thursday)
First Day of School (Early Childhood)
August 22, 2022 (Monday)
Labor Day - Schools Closed
September 05, 2022 (Monday)
Indigenous Peoples Day - Schools Closed
October 10, 2022 (Monday)
Election Day - Schools Closed
November 08, 2022 (Tuesday)
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), IL Dept. of Education
Review Jonas E Salk Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Teaching: Using Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality can enhance your lessons safely and efficiently. Virtual reality allows your students to explore worlds they might not otherwise see. We offer some suggestions on how to use VR in your classrooom.
Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps or JROTC
JROTC offers valuable lessons in leadership, character-building and citizenship. Here's a look at the various JROTC programs out there together with a look at the pros and cons of the program.
July 05, 2022Teaching: Contract Renewal
Most teaching contracts are year-to-year, or longer if you're eligible. Here are some suggestions for safeguarding your employment.