Top Louisiana Alternative Public Schools
- For the 2018-19 school year, there are 5 top alternative public schools in Louisiana, serving 387 students.
- Alternative schools aim to help students whose needs may not be successfully met in regular schools.
- Students who attend alternative schools and may be at risk of educational failure (as indicated by poor grades, truancy, disruptive behavior, pregnancy, or similar factors associated with temporary or permanent withdrawal from school).
- Minority enrollment is 81% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the Louisiana state average of 55%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 9:1 is less than the state average of 13:1.
Top Louisiana Alternative Public Schools (2018-19)
- School Location Grades Students
- Covington Florida Parishes Juvenile Detention Cntr. 28528 Highway 190
Covington, LA 70433
Grades: 3-12 | 63 students
- Bossier City Johnny Gray Jones Youth Shelter & Detention Center 4815 Shed Road
Bossier City, LA 71111
Grades: K-12 | 17 students
- Thibodaux Lafourche Parish Juvenile Justice Facility 2525 Veterans Blvd.
Thibodaux, LA 70301
Grades: K-12 | n/a students
- Westwego Riverside Alternative High School 3225 River Road
Westwego, LA 70094
Grades: 1-12 | 129 students
- Monroe Southside Alternative High School 4701 South Grand St.
Monroe, LA 71202
Grades: 1-12 | 178 students
A new program in San Antonio and Austin tracks students with truancy history with GPS devices. The program is designed to improve attendance rates and student achievement.
The world is in a constant state of change and those who fail to adjust fall behind. Unfortunately, the American public education system has not kept up with the times and is currently facing a number of serious problems. Keep reading to learn about the biggest failures affecting the modern U.S. public education system as well as some of the trends that could spark change.
Summer break is a time to kick back and relax but it is also a great time to do activities that will boost your college applications. Keep reading to see how to boost your application this summer.