Marshwood Great Works School
Marshwood Great Works School serves 285 students in grades 4-5.
Marshwood Great Works School placed in the top 20% of all schools in Maine for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 10%, and reading proficiency is top 30%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 55% (which is higher than the Maine state average of 36%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 64% (which is higher than the Maine state average of 56%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 12:1 is equal to the Maine state level of 12:1.
Minority enrollment is 6% of the student body (majority Black and Hispanic), which is lower than the Maine state average of 11% (majority Black and Hispanic).
Marshwood Great Works School's student population of 285 students has declined by 9% over five school years.
The teacher population of 24 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Marshwood Great Works School is ranked within the top 20% of all 524 schools in Maine (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Marshwood Great Works School is 0.12, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.21. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (ME)
Overall Testing Rank
#86 out of 524 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, ME Dept. of Education
Review Marshwood Great Works School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Are the Three Rs Robbing our Children?
For far too long the American public school system has failed to address “out-of-school” factors like poverty and their impact on what happens in the classroom. As the nation continues to become increasingly diverse, many schools are adopting comprehensive approaches to education that account for the unique needs of students so that each child is prepared for their future and not just for a year-end test.
Philadelphia Public Schools Explore the Options of “Community Schools”
Philadelphia continues to explore the community school option as a way of maximizing resources for students. What is a community school and what are its benefits?
August 02, 2021Post-Pandemic Tips for Public School Parents and Students
The 2020-21 school year was unlike any other and hopefully not one we’ll repeat anytime soon. The COVID-19 pandemic changed the face of America’s public education system and we’re still seeing the effects. In this article, we’ll explore the impact of the pandemic on America’s public schools, see how they responded, and talk about some tips for returning to in-person education this fall.