Coloma Community Schools School District
- For the 2021 school year, there are 5 public schools in Coloma Community Schools School District, serving 1,472 students. Coloma Community Schools School District has one of the highest concentrations of top ranked public schools in Michigan.
- Public schools in Coloma Community Schools School District have an average math proficiency score of 22% (versus the Michigan public school average of 33%), and reading proficiency score of 27% (versus the 39% statewide average). This district's average testing ranking is 4/10, which is in the bottom 50% of public schools in Michigan.
- Minority enrollment is 31% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the Michigan public school average of 34% (majority Black).
- The student:teacher ratio of 18:1 is equal to the Michigan public school average of 18:1.
|School District Name||Coloma Community Schools School District|
|School District Website||http://remc11.k12.mi.us/coloma|
|School District Phone Number||(269) 468-2424|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (MI)|
|# of Schools||5 Schools||3,735 Schools|
|# of Students||1,472 Students||1,472,301 Students|
|# of Teachers||80 Teachers||82,182 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||18:1||18:1|
- Coloma Community Schools School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 869 school districts in Michigan (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-2018 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 55-59% has decreased from 70-74% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (MI)|
|Overall Testing Rank||#549 out of 869 school districts|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||4 Students||9,974 Students|
|% American Indian Students||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||3 Students||49,834 Students|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||187 Students||114,872 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||163 Students||260,793 Students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||1,018 Students||978,273 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a||1,272 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||97 Students||57,365 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||-||-|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||95||116,607|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||81||105,799|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||90||103,933|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||92||105,395|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||103||107,959|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||103||112,259|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||102||112,463|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||103||111,894|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||136||114,566|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||129||123,361|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||165||121,139|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||167||115,656|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||106||117,214|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-||4,056|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $12,719 in this school district is less than the state median of $13,151. The school district revenue/student has grown by 7% over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $11,442 is less than the state median of $13,281. The school district spending/student has grown by 7% over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017||This School District||This State (MI)|
|Total Revenue||$19 MM||$10 MM|
|Spending||$17 MM||$10 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$12,719||$13,151|
|Revenue / Student||$11,442||$13,281|
Coloma Community Schools School District Public Schools (2021)
- School (Math and Reading Proficiency) Location Grades Students
- Coloma Elementary School 262 West St
Coloma, MI 49038
Grades: PK-3 | 358 students
- Coloma Junior High School 302 West Saint Joseph St
Coloma, MI 49038
Grades: 6-8 | 341 students
- Coloma Intermediate School 274a South West St
Coloma, MI 49038
Grades: 4-5 | 206 students
- Coloma High School 300 West Saint Joseph St
Coloma, MI 49038
Grades: 9-12 | 476 students
- The Bridge Academy 499 W Main Street
Benton Harbor, MI 49022
Grades: 10-12 | 91 students
Learn about why technical public high schools are earning attention for their unique career-training opportunities.
In light of an upcoming study on Montessori education in South Carolina, as well as the growing popularity of the Montessori Method in public charter schools, we’ll take a look at the principles behind Montessori education and whether it is an effective method for preparing some students for the professional world or higher education.
Some educators and community leaders are pushing for more math and science at the high school level. Is the move really necessary and if so, how do schools get students more interested in these STEM subjects?