Mesabi East School District
- For the 2020-21 school year, there are 2 public schools in Mesabi East School District, serving 992 students. Mesabi East School District has one of the highest concentrations of top ranked public schools in Minnesota.
- Public schools in Mesabi East School District have an average math proficiency score of 45% (versus the Minnesota public school average of 57%), and reading proficiency score of 55% (versus the 60% statewide average). This district's average testing ranking is 4/10, which is in the bottom 50% of public schools in Minnesota.
- Minority enrollment is 7% of the student body (majority American Indian), which is less than the Minnesota public school average of 34% (majority Black and Hispanic).
- The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is equal to the Minnesota public school average of 16:1.
|School District Name||Mesabi East School District|
|School District Website||http://www.mesabieast.k12.mn.us/|
|School District Phone Number||(218) 229-3321|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (MN)|
|# of Schools||2 Schools||2,561 Schools|
|# of Students||992 Students||885,743 Students|
|# of Teachers||62 Teachers||55,871 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||16:1||16:1|
- Mesabi East School District, which is ranked within the4/, bottom 50% of all 520 school districts in Minnesota (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018 school year.10
- The school district's graduation rate of 85-89% has decreased from 90% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (MN)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||19 Students||15,036 Students|
|% American Indian Students|
|# of Asian Students||2 Students||60,101 Students|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||7 Students||82,282 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||7 Students||97,668 Students|
|% Black Students||n/a|
|# of White Students||920 Students||588,218 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a||697 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||37 Students||41,741 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||55||22,692|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||61||64,201|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||56||63,591|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||69||64,458|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||73||65,783|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||79||67,295|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||86||67,750|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||65||66,619|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||76||66,206|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||76||66,474|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||78||67,065|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||82||66,025|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||72||66,707|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||64||70,877|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-||-|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $12,864 is higher than the state average of 11483. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $11,883 is higher than the state average of $11,614. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (MN)|
|Total Revenue||$12 MM||5914000|
|Revenue / Student||$12,864||11483|
|Spending / Student||$11,883||11614|
Mesabi East School District Public Schools (2020-21)
Amidst the controversy surrounding President Obama's school address, learn about whether or not parents have any rights in choosing who their children's public schools invite as speakers.
Learn about the history of public schools incorporating self-contained classrooms, and whether they are right for your child.
President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper initiative aims to improve academic opportunities for students of color, especially African-American boys.