Columbus Municipal School District
- For the 2018-19 school year, there are 5 public preschools managed by Columbus Municipal School District serving 2,157 students in Columbus, Mississippi.
- Minority enrollment is 95% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the Mississippi state average of 55%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 17:1 is more than the state average of 16:1.
Columbus Municipal School District (2018-19)
- School Location Grades Students
- Columbus Cook Elementary School2217 N Seventh Street
Columbus, MS 39705
Grades: PK-5 | 633 students
- Columbus Fairview Elementary School225 Airline Road
Columbus, MS 39702
Grades: PK-5 | 283 students
- Columbus Sale Elementary School520 Warpath Road
Columbus, MS 39702
Grades: PK-5 | 402 students
- Columbus Stokes Beard Elementary School311 Martin Luther King Dr.
Columbus, MS 39701
Grades: PK-5 | 455 students
|School District Name||Columbus Municipal School District|
|# of Schools||n/a|
|# of Students||4,117 students|
|# of Teachers||281 Teacher(s)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1|
|# of Male Students||2,140 students|
|% Male Students|
|# of Female Students||1,977 students|
|% Female Students|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||2 students|
|% American Indian Students||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||23 students|
|% Asian Students|
|# of Hispanic Students||53 students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||3,803 students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||220 students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||2 students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||14 students|
|% of Two or more races Students||n/a|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||99|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||305|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||372|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||386|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||358|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||311|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||306|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||297|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||289|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||288|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||293|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||282|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||249|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||240|
|# of Ungraded Students:||42|
- Columbus Municipal School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 146 school districts in Mississippi (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 80-84% has increased from 66% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (MS)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $10,108 is higher than the state average of $10,065. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $13,683 is higher than the state average of $10,094. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School District||This State (MS)|
|Total Revenue||$46 MM||$20 MM|
|Spending||$63 MM||$20 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$10,108||$10,065|
|Spending / Student||$13,683||$10,094|
When asked to rank the quality of their child's school, most parents rated it a B average. And yet politicians would have you believe that the American public-school system is failing. How are America's public schools really doing, and how do we know?
The Common Core State Standards Initiative has changed the course of education in the United States, particularly with its emphasis on standardized testing. But how does standardized testing affect teaching quality? Keep reading to find out.
The high school graduation rate is in a constant state of change and dropout rates affect more than the individual student. Read on to learn about factors influencing high school graduation rates and what schools can do to improve them.