- Grades: 10-12
- Enrollment: 978 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 12:1
- Minority Enrollment: 5%
- Graduation Rate: 98% (Top 1% in AL)
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 5%
- Math Proficiency: 79% (Top 1%)
- Reading Proficiency: 73% (Top 10%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), AL Dept. of Education
Mountain Brook High School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Alabama for:
- Mountain Brook High School (MBHS) is a three-year public high school within the city of Mountain Brook, Alabama, a residential area of Birmingham.
- Mountain Brook High School serves grades 10-12 and enrolled 992 students during the 2004-2005 school year. Barlow joined the Mountain Brook High School staff in 1996 after vacating his previous position in Georgia’s Gwinnett School System. Before joining the MBHS team, assistant principal Ben Hudson served as assistant principal of Tarrant High School. Similarly, assistant principal Patrick Kellogg served as assistant principal of Pelham High School before arriving at MBHS.
- Mountain Brook High School colors are green and gold and the athletic teams are called the "Spartans". Along with its many academic clubs, the school had sororities until the early 2000's. The school also had fraternities until the early-to-mid 1990's. Both groups were disbanded for misbehavior.
- Active school groups and clubs:
- American Field Service (AFS) - This organization is intended to promote world peace through understanding other cultures. The Mountain Brook High School AFS chapter sponsors international students throughout the year, as well as sponsoring MBHS students to other countries.
- Ambassadors - This is a coed service club designed primarily to assist new students and their families in becoming familiar with and involved in school activities.
- Art Club - Any student studying art who enjoys activities with others with the same interest is encouraged to join this art related group.
- The Cage - The Cage is comprised of a multitude of students from the Junior and Senior class who show an extreme support of their Spartans!
- Connection - This is a coed service club whose purpose is to promote drug awareness and to provide peer support for all students who choose not to drink, smoke, or take drugs. Members are required to sign a pledge to not use alcohol or other drugs.
- Debate Club - This club is for any students enrolled or previously enrolled in debate.
- French Club - This club's sole purpose is to acquaint students learning the French language with French culture.
- Latin Club - This club's sole purpose is to acquaint students learning Latin with classical culture.
- Spartan Pride - This club is for any member of the student body who wishes to show their school pride.
- Outdoors Club - Members of this organization determine opportunities for hikes, excursions and/or trips in order to explore surrounding areas, preserves, and points of interest in Alabama.
- Thespians - The objective of this club is to stimulate interest in the dramatic arts.
- Spanish Club - This club's sole purpose is to acquaint students learning Spanish with Spanish culture.
- Stand-up Club - An independent, student-run organization that seeks to actively challenge complacency towards underage drinking. This club is dedicated to promoting a community free from underage drinking regardless of any social pressure.
- Stock Market Club - This club meets to study and discuss information and trends in the world’s stock markets.
- Students for Environmental Action - This club is for students concerned about the environment. Activities include letter-writing, volunteering, poster campaigns, and fund-raising by selling environmentalist t-shirts, etc.
- United States Department of Education Blue Ribbon School; 1983-84, 1992-93.
- United States Department of Education Secondary Schools Recognition Program.
- Selected by Redbook magazine as one of 155 schools honored for "overall excellence" Recognized by Newsweek magazine as one of the nation's top 100 high schools.
- Honored by The College Board for academic excellence and outstanding support and participation in Advanced Placement Program.
- Mountain Brook has graduated three Rhodes Scholars.
- Mountain Brook has won more Alabama state athletic championships (102) than any other school in the state.
- Famous graduates:
- Nate Bland, baseball player (Seattle Mariners).
- John Cassimus, entrepreneur (Zöe's Kitchen).
- Courteney Cox, actress (Friends).
- David Jaffe, video game designer (God of War).
- Karen Saull, businesswoman and politician.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Mountain Brook High School's ranking?
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
What is the graduation rate of Mountain Brook High School?
How many students attend Mountain Brook High School?
What is the racial composition of the student body?
What is the student:teacher ratio of Mountain Brook High School?
What grades does Mountain Brook High School offer ?
What school district is Mountain Brook High School part of?
View the Mountain Brook High School yearly calendar below. Note key dates such as:
Review Mountain Brook High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities