P.S. 256 places among the top 20% of public schools in New York for:
- Category Attribute
- Diversity Most diverse schools (Top 20%)
- Percent Eligible For Free Lunch Largest percent of students eligible for free lunch (Top 20%)
- Student Attention Lowest teacher:student ratio (Top 1%)
- P.S. 256's student population of 444 students has grown by 9% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 110 teachers has grown by 17% over five school years.
|School Type||Special education school|
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-12|
|Total Students||444 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||110 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- P.S. 256's student:teacher ratio of 4:1 has stayed the same over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (NY)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1||13:1|
|Two or more races|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch (14-15)|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Nyc Special Schools - District 75 School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Syosset Berry Hill Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 394 students
181 Cold Spring Rd
Syosset, NY 11791
(516) 364-5790 0.9 K-5 394
- Woodbury Walt Whitman Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 281 students
482 Woodbury Rd
Woodbury, NY 11797
(516) 364-5823 1.2 K-5 281
Should sixth graders be placed in elementary or middle school? We explore the pros and cons of the issue.
Learn 8 ways to guide your conversations with children when discussing high-profile acts of violence in schools.
Traditional Christmas carols, such as "Silent Night," may be sounds of the past on public school campuses. Learn about why schools are banning Christmas carols and how some parents are protesting the changes.