Sam Houston Elementary School
Sam Houston Elementary School serves 504 students in grades Prekindergarten-3.
Sam Houston Elementary School placed in the top 5% of all schools in Tennessee for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 5%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 70-74% (which is higher than the Tennessee state average of 39%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 60-64% (which is higher than the Tennessee state average of 35%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 17:1 is higher than the Tennessee state level of 15:1.
Minority enrollment is 12% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Tennessee state average of 37% (majority Black).
Sam Houston Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Tennessee for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Sam Houston Elementary School's student population of 504 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 30 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Sam Houston Elementary School is ranked within the top 5% of all 1,705 schools in Tennessee (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Sam Houston Elementary School is 0.22, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.55. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (TN)
Overall Testing Rank
#69 out of 1705 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch (13-14)
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, TN Dept. of Education
Review Sam Houston Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
All-Girl Public High Schools: Improving Confidence and College Success
While all-girl public high schools are not prevalent, their advantages are significant. Learn about the academic and social benefits of an all-girls education.
4 Ways Parents Can Turn a Campus into a Top Public School
Every campus has the potential to become a top public school. Learn about what you can do as a parent to improve your child's public school.
Segregation: A Modern Problem for Public Schools in the South
Learn about the unfortunate cases of segregation that are arising in public schools in the South, as well as the legal rulings forcing desegregation once again.