Southwest Edgecombe High School
- The student population of 847 students has declined by 6% over five years.
- The teacher population of 50 teachers has declined by 10% over five years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||847 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||50 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- The student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has increased from 16:1 over five years.
- The school's diversity score of 0.58 is more than the state average of 0.45. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five years.
- Edgecombe County School District's student population of 5,236 students has decreased by 29% over five years.
- The district's graduation rate of 78% has decreased from 93% over five years.
- The revenue/student of $9,727 in this district is less than the state average of $11,110. The district revenue/student has grown by 15% over four years.
- The district's spending/student of $9,724 is less than the state average of $11,529. The district spending/student has grown by 16% over four years.
|School District Name||Edgecombe County School District|
|Number of Schools
|Number of Students Managed||5,236||912|
|District Total Revenue||$59 MM||$10 MM|
|District Spending||$59 MM||$11 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$9,727||$11,110|
|District Spending / Student||$9,724||$11,529|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
PinetopsG W Carver Elementary SchoolGrades: PK-5 | 776 students
Po Box 48
Pinetops, NC 27864
Rocky MountG W Bulluck Elementary SchoolGrades: PK-5 | 707 students
3090 Bulluck School Road
Rocky Mount, NC 27801
PinetopsSouth Edgecombe Middle SchoolGrades: 6-8 | 356 students
230 Pinetops-crisp Road
Pinetops, NC 27864
TarboroEdgecombe Early College High SchoolGrades: 9-13 | 154 students
2009 West Wilson St
Tarboro, NC 27886
TarboroNorth East Carolina PrepGrades: KG-10 | 1306 students
Po Box 8
Tarboro, NC 27886
There is much effort put into this school to make it better. However I feel the school hasn't reached its full potentail and will take a long time for it to do so. This will require dramatic changes throughout the years to get it together. The student body is huge. There's two buildings to fit 800 students in. Also the buildings are really old. The rooms are spacious and so is the hallways. However, in a couple of years this school will be struggling. First the students don't even seem trustworthy. Some students have discipline, majority doesn't. this students struggle because their parents aren't teaching them how valuable education is. How's going to tell them that? It's the teachers' job to do that now, that is what's lacking. There is no bonding with the students and teachers. No connection is made and that is a mistake because that's were true learning comes from. Learning is connection with people with teach you and want to see you become successful in life. This school completely ignores that idea. Education is not stressed enough in this school. IT IS NOT. Barely any student here knows what education can do for them. In fact majority found their way out in the streets. There is no high level of expectations. The students just come in and have two options, either pay attention or fall asleep. Fall sleep? Really, what school let people fall asleep in class in front of the teacher. That shows the teacher what you have to say is not important and I don't care about my education. These are big issues the school has and I'm sorry. It will become a failing school the next couple of years. The teachers' job isn't well respected, the students are not held to high expectations to help them succeed. You are more likely to dropout of this school.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - jfarm