Summertown Elementary School
Summertown Elementary School serves 683 students in grades Prekindergarten-6.
Summertown Elementary School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Tennessee for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 55% (which is higher than the Tennessee state average of 39%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 37% (which is higher than the Tennessee state average of 35%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is higher than the Tennessee state level of 15:1.
Minority enrollment is 1% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Tennessee state average of 37% (majority Black).
Summertown Elementary School's student population of 683 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 42 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Summertown Elementary School is ranked within the top 30% of all 1,705 schools in Tennessee (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Summertown Elementary School is 0.02, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.55. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (TN)
Overall Testing Rank
#366 out of 1705 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, TN Dept. of Education
Review Summertown Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Chicago Public Schools Getting Ready for “Back to School” Despite Myriad of Problems
We report on the back to school campaign launched by CPS despite huge issues facing the district, including reports of school officials lying to get their children free lunches, conflicts between administrators and teachers’ union, and a lower bond rating.
More Single-Sex Classrooms Spur Ongoing Debate
With more single-sex classrooms added to public schools across the county, we’ll look at whether these classrooms offer benefits to students in practice and what the ACLU has to say about the gender segregation.
Failure to Read Now Grounds for Lawsuit? ACLU Says Yes
The ACLU has filed a lawsuit against some Michigan schools, alleging the district failed to ensure children can read at appropriate grade levels. The dire straits in which this school district is operating is shocking, to say the least.