The Varnett Public School District
- For the 2019-20 school year, there are 3 public schools managed by The Varnett Public School District serving 1,607 students in Houston, Texas.
- Minority enrollment is 96% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is more than the Texas state average of 72%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 21:1 is more than the state average of 15:1.
The Varnett Public School District (2019-20)
- School Location Grades Students
- Houston Varnett Charter School 5025 S Willow Dr
Houston, TX 77251
Grades: PK-5 | 692 students
- Houston The Varnett School - East 804a Maxey Rd
Houston, TX 77251
Grades: PK-5 | 377 students
- Houston The Varnett School - Northeast 8305 Mesa Dr
Houston, TX 77251
Grades: PK-5 | 538 students
|School District Name||The Varnett Public School District|
|# of Schools||n/a|
|# of Students||1,607 students|
|# of Teachers||78 Teacher(s)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||21:1|
|# of Male Students||814 students|
|% Male Students|
|# of Female Students||793 students|
|% Female Students|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||4 students|
|% American Indian Students||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||3 students|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||823 students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||717 students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||58 students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||2 students|
|% of Two or more races Students||n/a|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||224|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||253|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||265|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||279|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||230|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||188|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||168|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||-|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||-|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-|
- The Varnett Public School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 1203 school districts in Texas (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of % has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (TX)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $9,624 in this school district is less than the state average of $10,807. The school district revenue/student has grown by 12% over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $7,450 is less than the state average of $11,097. The school district spending/student has grown by 12% over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||This State (TX)|
|Total Revenue||$15 MM||$9 MM|
|Spending||$12 MM||$9 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$9,624||$10,807|
|Spending / Student||$7,450||$11,097|
As the school year kicks into full swing, we examine the many fees and other hidden costs lurking in a “free” public education today.
Being a parent is never easy, but some children are more challenging than others. If you're concerned that your child's behavioral issues might be more than just temporary, consider whether an alternative school might be the next move.
All students deserve to have an equal chance at academic success but not every student learns in the same way. Alternative schools provide students with unique challenges or abilities an opportunity to succeed in a different educational setting. Keep reading to learn more about alternative schools and their impact on college admissions.