Union High School
Union High School places among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Overall Rank Highest overall rank (Top 5%)
- Math Proficiency Highest math proficiency (Top 10%)
- Reading Language/Arts Proficiency Highest reading language/arts proficiency (Top 5%)
- Graduation Rate Highest graduation rate (Top 10%)
- Union High School's student population of 697 students has grown by 6% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 40 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||697 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||40 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Union High School is ranked within the top 5% of all 1,801 schools in Virginia (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-17 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has increased from 16:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (VA)|
|Overall School Rank||#81 out of 1801 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||≥95%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||15:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Wise Co PBLC Schs School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Big Stone Gap Powell Valley Primary Grades: PK-4 | 661 students
2945 Second Avenue East
Big Stone Gap, VA 24219
(276)523-4900 2.1 PK-4 661
- Big Stone Gap Powell Valley Middle School Grades: 5-8 | 450 students
3137 Second Avenue East
Big Stone Gap, VA 24219
(276)523-0195 2.3 5-8 450
- Appalachia Appalachia Elementary School Grades: PK-8 | 307 students
3965 Kent Junction Road
Appalachia, VA 24216
(276)565-1115 4.9 PK-8 307
- Norton J.i. Burton High School Grades: 8-12 | 279 students
109 11th St
Norton, VA 24273
(276)679-2554 8.7 8-12 279
- Duffield Rye Cove High School Grades: 8-12 | 264 students
164 Eagles Nest Lane
Duffield, VA 24244
(276)940-2701 9.1 8-12 264
This past Friday night while attending a varsity boys game I was shocked to hear the music being played during the warm up.The foul mouth rap artist which was singing four letter words completely unsuitable for a crowd coming to a school sporting event. I was offended by having to listen to this garbage. Please consider what I am saying and use more respect to the people in the audience coming to your sporting events.
- Posted by Parent - bobsp
As public schools in the United States continue to increase in their racial, ethnic, economic, and religious diversity, some districts need to rethink their holiday celebrations in a manner that is inclusive and respectful of all people.
As schools around the country close for two weeks or more, parents find themselves asking some tough questions. Read on to learn about the current and future impact of COVID-19 on students in public schools.
Every child learns differently and it’s a teacher’s job to meet students where they are and guide them through the learning process. Scaffolding is a teaching tool that helps students develop critical thinking skills and the ability to learn independently.