Ward J Elementary School
Ward J Elementary School serves 587 students in grades Prekindergarten-8.
Ward J Elementary School placed in the top 20% of all schools in Illinois for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 10%, and reading proficiency is top 30%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 57% (which is higher than the Illinois state average of 33%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 47% (which is higher than the Illinois state average of 38%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 21:1 is higher than the Illinois state level of 15:1.
Minority enrollment is 94% of the student body (majority Asian), which is higher than the Illinois state average of 52% (majority Hispanic and Black).
Ward J Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Illinois for:
Percent Eligible For Free Lunch
Ward J Elementary School's student population of 587 students has grown by 8% over five school years.
The teacher population of 28 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Ward J Elementary School is ranked within the top 20% of all 3,655 schools in Illinois (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Ward J Elementary School is 0.51, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.68. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (IL)
Overall Testing Rank
#608 out of 3655 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch (13-14)
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, IL Dept. of Education
Despite the school being the oldest educational facilty in Chicago, Ward carries a good reputation for limited crime, residing itself on the safe boundries of Chinatown. The population mostly consists of Asians, most repectively, Chinese. Most of the faculty offers an intense learning experience. The school is somewhat small compared to others (500+), but the school offers various opportunities and activities. It is how one considers his choices that stands in the matter of his success. Talented students in the academic or physical areas have their choices. Academic competitions (i.e. Academic Bowl, Math Team, etc.) have placed good marks in Area and City competitions, while the athletic teams have beaten down many of its stronger opponents. Level of parent involvement is pretty good, as there are Meet the Teachers Night's, Family Reading Night, etc.; however, there are still space for improvement on updating the school's website more often. Overall, I love this school. It has given me memories and nourishment of which I will never grow out. I now think of school as not only a development for life but life itself. I strongly recommend going to this school, especially because of the fact that it offers Spanish enrichment in its curriculum. I will never have any regret of choosing this school instead of Haines. ~ Yongming Deng, Class of 2010 :)
Review Ward J Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
40% of Teachers Call in Sick in Wisconsin
What happens when nearly half of a state's teachers call in "sick" for school? Learn about the turmoil between legislators and the teachers union in Wisconsin and how the rallies, protests, and fighting will set precedence for other budget-strapped states.
10 Best SAT Prep Methods
The SATs are a make or break exam for high school students. Check out the 10 best ways to prepare for the big test.
Common Mental Health Problems in School Children and How to Address Them
Millions of people struggle with mental health issues on a daily basis, but no one wants to think that these issues might affect children. As a parent, it is your responsibility to know what your child needs and to provide it. This includes identifying problem behaviors and seeking treatment when your child needs help.