William Byrd High School
William Byrd High School places among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Reading Language/Arts Proficiency Highest reading language/arts proficiency (Top 20%)
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 20%)
- William Byrd High School's student population of 1,143 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 81 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||1,143 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||81 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- William Byrd High School is ranked within the top 30% of all 1,796 schools in Virginia (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-16 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 14:1 has stayed the same over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School||State Level (VA)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1||15:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Roanoke County School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Vinton William Byrd Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 803 students
2910 Washington Ave
Vinton, VA 24179
(540)890-1035 0.0 6-8 803
- Vinton Herman L. Horn Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 421 students
1002 Ruddell Rd
Vinton, VA 24179
(540)857-5007 1.4 PK-5 421
- Vinton W.e. Cundiff Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 541 students
1200 Hardy Rd
Vinton, VA 24179
(540)857-5009 1.4 PK-5 541
- Roanoke Fallon Park Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 652 students
502 19th St Se
Roanoke, VA 24013
(540)853-2535 3.3 PK-5 652
- Roanoke Bonsack Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 381 students
5437 Crumpacker Dr
Roanoke, VA 24019
(540)977-5870 3.5 PK-5 381
William Byrd will give out to its students what they put in. I personally feel that Byrd is a great school to go to, and so long as you're willing to put in the effort to learn and stay out of trouble, the teachers there will help you. They have very a underrated music and cheerleading program, as they bring home most of the trophies. They have an exceptional administrative staff. I participated in their AFJROTC program, the music program, and their archery club, as well as Beta Club. It's a great school and a great community that you can't find really anywhere else. Plus Maroon and Orange look good on anyone and who doesn't love a good Bull Terrier?
- Posted by Student/Alumni - danie
William Byrd High School is one if those schools that you can't really appreciate until after you've gone out into the world. It is a small town public school nestled beside the Blue Ridge Parkway that continues to offer high quality academic coursework for college-bound students, as well as vocational and special education programs. The activities I participated in as a student -- art club, cross country, the school yearbook -- helped form a basis for a variety of interests I pursued in college and in my professional life. The student/teacher ratio was (and remains) very good, and the academic and athletic facilities have always been spacious, clean, and well-maintained.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - doug