Amherst Middle School
Amherst Middle School serves 612 students in grades 5-8.
Amherst Middle School placed in the top 10% of all schools in New Hampshire for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 10%, and reading proficiency is top 20%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 71% (which is higher than the New Hampshire state average of 48%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 72% (which is higher than the New Hampshire state average of 56%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 12:1 is higher than the New Hampshire state level of 11:1.
Minority enrollment is 9% of the student body (majority Hispanic and Asian), which is lower than the New Hampshire state average of 16% (majority Hispanic).
- Grades: 5-8
- Students: 612 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 12:1
- Minority Enrollment: 9%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 10% in NH
- Math Proficiency: 71% (Top 10%)
- Reading Proficiency: 72% (Top 20%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), NH Dept. of Education
Amherst Middle School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in New Hampshire for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Amherst Middle School's student population of 612 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 53 teachers has grown by 8% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Amherst Middle School is ranked within the top 10% of all 455 schools in New Hampshire (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Amherst Middle School is 0.17, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.29. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (NH)
Overall Testing Rank
#42 out of 455 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
National School Lunch Program
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch (19-20)
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), NH Dept. of Education
Review Amherst Middle School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Teaching: Using Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality can enhance your lessons safely and efficiently. Virtual reality allows your students to explore worlds they might not otherwise see. We offer some suggestions on how to use VR in your classrooom.
July 11, 2022Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps or JROTC
JROTC offers valuable lessons in leadership, character-building and citizenship. Here's a look at the various JROTC programs out there together with a look at the pros and cons of the program.
July 05, 2022Teaching: Contract Renewal
Most teaching contracts are year-to-year, or longer if you're eligible. Here are some suggestions for safeguarding your employment.