Culver City High School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 2,258 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 24:1
- Minority Enrollment: 74%
- Graduation Rate: 96% (Top 10% in CA)
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 20%
- Math Proficiency: 48% (Top 50%)
- Reading Proficiency: 69% (Top 20%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
Culver City High School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
- Culver City High School is the main public high school of the Culver City Unified School District (CCUSD) in Culver City, California. The school colors are primarily silver and blue but also black and white, and the mascot is the centaur. Culver City High School is recognized as a California Distinguished School, earning the honor in 2005.
- Sony Studios, also situated in Culver City, has sponsored the high school and its active Academy of Visual and Performing Arts. Likewise, CCHS's facade and field have been filmed for television shows and movies. For example, The Wonder Years filmed the facades of CCHS and connected Culver City Middle School and Nickelodeon used CCHS's exterior for the school in its show The Journey of Allen Strange. In addition, the show Party of Five was filmed at CCHS as well as several music videos. Scenes from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial were also filmed at CCHS.
- Culver City High School has one of the best football teams in the Ocean League (one of three leagues of the South Bay Athletic Association: Bay, Ocean, Pioneer).
- The school's newspaper is The Centaurian, which is part of the High School National Ad Network.
- CCHS also hosts several events. For example, Rigoberta Menchú has spoken on peace. Since 2004, it has also held an annual peace concert called Peace of Music.
- Every year on July 4, CCHS hosts a fireworks show, sponsored by the Culver City Exchange Club.
- Notable Alumni: Big Boy (aka. Kurt Alexander); Carnell Lake; Derrick Deese; Darrin Jackson; Karl Paymah; Ryan Riddle; Leon Hadrow; Nicholas George; Kia Hale; Shani Remer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Culver City High School's ranking?
Culver City High School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in California for: Highest overall rank (Top 20%), Highest reading/language arts proficiency (Top 20%), Highest graduation rate (Top 10%) and Most diverse schools (Top 5%).
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
48% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 34% CA state average), while 69% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 49% CA state average).
What is the graduation rate of Culver City High School?
The graduation rate of Culver City High School is 96%, which is higher than the California state average of 85%.
How many students attend Culver City High School?
2,258 students attend Culver City High School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
37% of Culver City High School students are Hispanic, 26% of students are White, 15% of students are Black, 12% of students are Asian, and 10% of students are Two or more races.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Culver City High School?
Culver City High School has a student ration of 24:1, which is higher than the California state average of 22:1.
What grades does Culver City High School offer ?
Culver City High School offers enrollment in grades 9-12
What school district is Culver City High School part of?
Culver City High School is part of Culver City Unified School District.
Review Culver City High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities