Culver City High School
Top Placements (California)
Culver City High School is Listed among the top public schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Reading Language/Arts Proficiency Highest reading language/arts proficiency (Top 10%)
- Diversity Most diverse schools (Top 5%)
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 5%)
- Culver City High School's student population of 2082 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 84 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||2,082 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||84 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Culver City High School is ranked within the top 30% of all 9595 schools in California (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 25:1 has decreased from 26:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School||State Level (CA)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||25:1||24:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
- The school district of Culver City High School is Culver City Unified School District, which is ranked within the top 20% of all 983 school districts in California (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Culver City Unified School District's student population of 6,729 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The district's graduation rate of 94% has increased from 85% over five school years.
- The revenue/student of $10,578 in this district is less than the state average of $11,049. The district revenue/student has declined by 16% over four school years.
- The district's spending/student of $10,649 is less than the state average of $11,340. The district spending/student has declined by 19% over four school years.
|School District Name||Culver City Unified School District|
|Number of Schools|
|Number of Students Managed||6,729||1,585|
|District Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Graduation Rate|
|District Total Revenue||$71 MM||$18 MM|
|District Spending||$72 MM||$18 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$10,578||$11,049|
|District Spending / Student||$10,649||$11,340|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
- Culver City High School is the main public high school of the Culver City Unified School District (CCUSD) in Culver City, California. The school colors are primarily silver and blue but also black and white, and the mascot is the centaur. Culver City High School is recognized as a California Distinguished School, earning the honor in 2005.
- Sony Studios, also situated in Culver City, has sponsored the high school and its active Academy of Visual and Performing Arts. Likewise, CCHS's facade and field have been filmed for television shows and movies. For example, The Wonder Years filmed the facades of CCHS and connected Culver City Middle School and Nickelodeon used CCHS's exterior for the school in its show The Journey of Allen Strange. In addition, the show Party of Five was filmed at CCHS as well as several music videos. Scenes from E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial were also filmed at CCHS.
- Culver City High School has one of the best football teams in the Ocean League (one of three leagues of the South Bay Athletic Association: Bay, Ocean, Pioneer).
- The school's newspaper is The Centaurian, which is part of the High School National Ad Network.
- CCHS also hosts several events. For example, Rigoberta Menchú has spoken on peace. Since 2004, it has also held an annual peace concert called Peace of Music.
- Every year on July 4, CCHS hosts a fireworks show, sponsored by the Culver City Exchange Club.
- Notable Alumni: Big Boy (aka. Kurt Alexander); Carnell Lake; Derrick Deese; Darrin Jackson; Karl Paymah; Ryan Riddle; Leon Hadrow; Nicholas George; Kia Hale; Shani Remer.
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Culver City Culver City Unified School District Iacademy Grades: K-12 | 19 students
4601 Elenda St. Cp Annex
Culver City, CA 90230
(310)842-4200 0.0 K-12 19
- Culver City Farragut Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 569 students
10820 Farragut Dr.
Culver City, CA 90230
(310)842-4323 0.1 K-5 569
- Culver City Rise Kohyang High School Grades: 9-12
631 S. Commonwealth Ave.
Culver City, CA 90230
(323)841-3192 0.4 9-12 n/a
- Culver City La Ballona Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 569 students
10915 Washington Blvd.
Culver City, CA 90232
(310)842-4334 0.6 K-5 569