Dunbar High School serves 728 students in grades 9-12.
Dunbar High School placed in the bottom 50% of all schools in District Of Columbia for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 5%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 2% (which is lower than the District Of Columbia state average of 32%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 17% (which is lower than the District Of Columbia state average of 38%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is higher than the District Of Columbia state level of 11:1.
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 728 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 16:1
- Graduation Rate: 75% (Btm 50% in DC)
- Overall Testing Rank: Bottom 50%
- Math Proficiency: 2% (Top 5%)
- Reading Proficiency: 17% (Top 10%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), DC Dept. of Education
Dunbar High School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in District Of Columbia for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Dunbar High School's student population of 728 students has grown by 24% over five school years.
The teacher population of 46 teachers has declined by 20% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Dunbar High School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 212 schools in District Of Columbia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of Dunbar High School is 0.11, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.54. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2021-2022 School Year Data
State Level (DC)
Overall Testing Rank
#196 out of 212 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)(18-19)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)(18-19)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch (11-12)
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2021-2022 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), DC Dept. of Education
- Dunbar High School is a public secondary school located in Washington, D.C., United States.
- Dunbar, which serves grades 9 through 12, is a part of the District of Columbia Public Schools.
- Dunbar was the first high school for black children. It was known for its excellent academics, enough so that many black parents would move to Washington specifically so their children could attend it. Its faculty was paid well by the standards of the time, earning parity pay to Washington's white school teachers. It also boasted a remarkably high number of graduates who went on to higher education, and a generally successful student body.
- Following desegregation and deconstruction of the original facility, its prestige dropped notably. As of 2006, the campus is situated in a newer, but far less architecturally appealing facility in Northwest Washington.
- Dunbar is perhaps best known for its athletic programs, and particularly its football team. Some of Dunbar's recent graduates have gone on to succeed in NCAA football and the NFL. Joshua Cribbs, who graduated in 2001, was the starting quarterback for four years at Kent State University and currently is a member of the Cleveland Browns. Vernon Davis,who graduated in 2003, was the number 6 pick in the 2006 NFL Draft and is now a tight end for the San Fransisco 49ers. Also a current Dunbar senior, wide receiver Arrelious Benn, is among the top college prospects in the nation.
- Notable Alumni: Notable graduates include:Charles Drew, Eleanor Holmes Norton, Senator Ed Brooke, Charles Hamilton Houston.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Dunbar High School's ranking?
Dunbar High School is ranked #196 out of 212 schools, which ranks it among the bottom 50% of public schools in District Of Columbia.
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
2% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 32% DC state average), while 17% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 38% DC state average).
What is the graduation rate of Dunbar High School?
The graduation rate of Dunbar High School is 75%, which is higher than the District Of Columbia state average of 73%.
How many students attend Dunbar High School?
728 students attend Dunbar High School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
94% of Dunbar High School students are Black, 5% of students are Hispanic, and 1% of students are Asian.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Dunbar High School?
Dunbar High School has a student ration of 16:1, which is higher than the District Of Columbia state average of 11:1.
What grades does Dunbar High School offer ?
Dunbar High School offers enrollment in grades 9-12
What school district is Dunbar High School part of?
Dunbar High School is part of District Of Columbia Public Schools School District.
Review Dunbar High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
The Link between Music and a Child’s Math Abilities
Learn about the influence of music on a child’s cognitive mathematical abilities.
August 04, 2023Preparing for a Successful 'Back to School'
A one-stop guide for parents navigating the 'back to school' season, providing practical and effective strategies tailored to every grade level - from pre-K to high school.
July 25, 2023The Evolving Role of Interim Assessments
Explore the often-overlooked tool in K-12 education - interim assessments. Understand what they are, their importance, and how they can enhance your child's learning experience. Dive into real-world case studies and find out how technology is changing the game. This informative, parent-friendly article aims to shed light on the value of these assessments in today's educational landscape.