Independence Elementary School
Independence Elementary School serves 669 students in grades Kindergarten-5.
Independence Elementary School placed in the top 5% of all schools in Missouri for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 5%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 70% (which is higher than the Missouri state average of 42%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 71% (which is higher than the Missouri state average of 49%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 14:1 is higher than the Missouri state level of 13:1.
Minority enrollment is 17% of the student body (majority Black and Hispanic), which is lower than the Missouri state average of 29% (majority Black).
Independence Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Missouri for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Independence Elementary School's student population of 669 students has declined by 6% over five school years.
The teacher population of 49 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Independence Elementary School is ranked within the top 5% of all 2,091 schools in Missouri (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Independence Elementary School is 0.31, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.47. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (MO)
Overall Testing Rank
#94 out of 2091 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, MO Dept. of Education
Review Independence Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Missing Children: Why Public Schools Need to Improve Security Policies
Learn about the case of Kyle Horman, a child who went missing while on campus, and how this tragedy is prompting public schools to reevaluate their security measures.
Paupers and Princes: Economic Inequality at Public Schools
The economic divide between our nation's public school students is growing wider and deeper. Learn about a new federal report that reveals the growing ranks of poverty-stricken public schools.
Can You Afford a Stellar Public School Education?
Dissect "America's Best Schools for Your Housing Buck" and learn about the top ranked public schools in America in cities where the median home price is as low as $200,000.