Gary Community School Corp School District
- For the 2020-21 school year, there are 11 public schools in Gary Community School Corp School District, serving 5,228 students. Gary Community School Corp School District has one of the highest concentrations of top ranked public schools in Indiana.
- Public schools in Gary Community School Corp School District have an average math proficiency score of 18% (versus the Indiana public school average of 54%), and reading proficiency score of 30% (versus the 62% statewide average). This district's average testing ranking is 1/10, which is in the bottom 50% of public schools in Indiana.
- Minority enrollment is 99% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the Indiana public school average of 32% (majority Black and Hispanic).
- The student:teacher ratio of 25:1 is more than the Indiana public school average of 17:1.
|School District Name||Gary Community School Corp School District|
|School District Website||http://www.garycsc.k12.in.us/|
|School District Phone Number||(219) 881-5401|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (IN)|
|# of Schools||11 Schools||1,922 Schools|
|# of Students||5,228 Students||1,052,874 Students|
|# of Teachers||213 Teachers||60,857 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||25:1||17:1|
- Gary Community School Corp School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 373 school districts in Indiana (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-2018 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 84% has increased from 68% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (IN)|
|Overall Testing Rank||#354 out of 373 school districts|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||3 Students||2,103 Students|
|% American Indian Students||n/a||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||n/a||25,462 Students|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||146 Students||125,582 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||4,861 Students||132,751 Students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||54 Students||714,936 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a||802 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||164 Students||51,238 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||510||18,972|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||478||77,895|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||440||76,250|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||427||76,421|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||477||78,682|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||441||80,063|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||450||79,953|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||467||79,149|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||286||78,435|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||219||79,979|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||254||80,524|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||274||80,785|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||267||83,703|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||237||80,464|
|# of Ungraded Students:||1||1,599|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $14,411 is higher than the state median of $11,838. The school district revenue/student has grown by 20% over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $13,827 is higher than the state median of $10,933. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017||This School District||This State (IN)|
|Total Revenue||$75 MM||$16 MM|
|Spending||$72 MM||$15 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$14,411||$11,838|
|Revenue / Student||$13,827||$10,933|
Gary Community School Corp School District Public Schools (2020-21)
- School (Math and Reading Proficiency) Location Grades Students
- Benjamin Banneker Achievement Center 301 Parke St
Gary, IN 46403
Grades: K-8 | 474 students
- Frankie W Mccullough Academy For Girl 1110 W 21st Ave
Gary, IN 46407
Grades: K-8 | 423 students
- Glen Park Academy For Excel In Learning 5002 Madison St
Gary, IN 46408
Grades: K-6 | 542 students
- Wm A Wirt/emerson Vpa 210 N Grand Blvd
Gary, IN 46403
Grades: 6-12 | 526 students
- Daniel Hale Williams Elementary School 1320 E 19th Ave
Gary, IN 46407
Grades: K-6 | 559 students
- Beveridge Elementary School 1234 Cleveland St
Gary, IN 46404
Grades: K-6 | 614 students
- Gary Career Center 1800 E 35th Ave
Gary, IN 46409
Grades: K-12 | n/a student
- Mary M Bethune Early Child Dev Center2367 E 21st Ave
Gary, IN 46407
Grades: PK | 510 students
A generous Michigan teen was growing his hair long to donate to Locks of Love, but was suspended from school as a result. Was this the right cut? We’ll discuss both side of the issue.
A recent ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court bans public school use by churches outside of normal school hours, and we’ll take a look at both sides of this issue.
Learn about whether charter schools or traditional public schools are enjoying better academic performance amongst their students. What do the test results reveal?