Mortimer Jordan High School
Mortimer Jordan High School places among the top 20% of public schools in Alabama for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 20%)
- Mortimer Jordan High School's student population of 747 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 39 teachers has declined by 11% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||747 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||39 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Mortimer Jordan High School's student:teacher ratio of 19:1 has increased from 17:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (AL)|
|Overall School Rank||#843 out of 1,264 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||25-29%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||45-49%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||19:1||18:1|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Jefferson County School District|
- Mortimer Jordan High School was named after Captain Mortimer Harvie Jordan, a soldier who died in 1918 in World War 1 in France and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. He graduated from the University of Alabama and later opened his own medical practice before joining the military during World War I.
- The school opened in 1920 in Morris, Alabama, a rural city in northern Alabama that has a population of about 1,800 citizens. MJHS first hosted a total of only 90 students in the first year in a five room building. The first water system for the school was installed in the 1930's and the first gym was built in 1936 and 1937. One of the most notable staff members was Mr. Jimmie A. Trotter, who worked as both a coach, teacher, and principal for 36 years. The school just recently changed in 2004 from a 7th-12th grade school to only 9th-12th with the opening of the new North Jefferson Middle School in 2004.
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Morris Bryan Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 760 students
600 Kimberly Cut Off Rd
Morris, AL 35116
(205)379-2750 0.6 K-5 760
- Warrior Warrior Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 287 students
300 Montgomery St
Warrior, AL 35180
(205)379-5500 3.7 PK-5 287
- Gardendale Snow Rogers Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 178 students
2636 Snow Rogers Rd
Gardendale, AL 35071
(205)379-5400 4.6 K-5 178
- Pinson Kermit Johnson School Grades: 3-5 | 786 students
8300 Kermit Johnson Rd
Pinson, AL 35126
(205)379-4350 6.5 3-5 786