Pacifica High School
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 1,688 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 23:1
- Minority Enrollment: 67%
- Graduation Rate: 96% (Top 10% in CA)
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 20%
- Math Proficiency: 45% (Top 50%)
- Reading Proficiency: 80% (Top 10%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
Pacifica High School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
- Pacifica High School is a high school in Garden Grove, California and is a member of the Garden Grove Unified School District. It first opened on September 5, 1965, on the site of an old pig farm.
- Athletics: Pacifica's sports teams are called the Mariners, and compete in Empire League of theCalifornia Interscholastic Federation's Southern Section. Prior to 2006, they competed in the Garden Grove League with the other schools in the GGUSD. Pacifica's softball team is regularly among the nation's elite, and won the national championship in 1997. The Pacifica Marching Band Drumline in 2006 took the WGI National gold medal in the PSO division (along with numerous first place finishes all over Southern California). Pacificas J.V cheer team, 2005-2006, won USA Spirit Nationals in their division. They competed against the top five teams in their division and won first place.
- Notable alumni: Tommy Sandt, former 2nd baseman Oakland Athletics, St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Pirates.
- Norm Johnson, former National Football League kicker.
- Dexter Holland, singer and guitarist for the band, The Offspring, and valedictorian of the Class of 1984.
- Kevin Wasserman, lead guitarist of The Offspring.
- Greg Kriesel, bassist for The Offspring Amanda Freed, member of the gold medal-winning 2004 U.S. Olympic Softball team.
- Daniel Barber, former professional soccer player, indoors and with MLS's MetroStars.
- Jodie Legaspi, UCLA softball star and member of U.S. national team.
- Rob Weil, former coach of Pacifica's national championship softball team. Was All-CIF goalkeeper for Pacifica's CIF Southern Section 2-A boys' soccer championship team in 1980.
- Monique Powell, musician.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Pacifica High School's ranking?
Pacifica High School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in California for: Highest overall rank (Top 20%), Highest reading/language arts proficiency (Top 10%), Highest graduation rate (Top 10%) and Most diverse schools (Top 20%).
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
45% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 34% CA state average), while 80% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 49% CA state average).
What is the graduation rate of Pacifica High School?
The graduation rate of Pacifica High School is 96%, which is higher than the California state average of 85%.
How many students attend Pacifica High School?
1,688 students attend Pacifica High School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
33% of Pacifica High School students are Hispanic, 33% of students are White, 30% of students are Asian, 3% of students are Two or more races, and 1% of students are Black.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Pacifica High School?
Pacifica High School has a student ration of 23:1, which is higher than the California state average of 22:1.
What grades does Pacifica High School offer ?
Pacifica High School offers enrollment in grades 9-12
What school district is Pacifica High School part of?
Pacifica High School is part of Garden Grove Unified School District.
Review Pacifica High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities