Pierce Downer Elementary School
Pierce Downer Elementary School serves 363 students in grades Kindergarten-6.
Pierce Downer Elementary School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Illinois for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 52% (which is higher than the Illinois state average of 33%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 45% (which is higher than the Illinois state average of 38%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 19:1 is higher than the Illinois state level of 15:1.
Minority enrollment is 13% of the student body (majority Asian and Hispanic), which is lower than the Illinois state average of 52% (majority Hispanic).
Pierce Downer Elementary School's student population of 363 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 19 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Pierce Downer Elementary School is ranked within the top 30% of all 3,655 schools in Illinois (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Pierce Downer Elementary School is 0.24, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.68. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (IL)
Overall Testing Rank
#811 out of 3655 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch (11-12)
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, IL Dept. of Education
Review Pierce Downer Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
40% of Teachers Call in Sick in Wisconsin
What happens when nearly half of a state's teachers call in "sick" for school? Learn about the turmoil between legislators and the teachers union in Wisconsin and how the rallies, protests, and fighting will set precedence for other budget-strapped states.
10 Best SAT Prep Methods
The SATs are a make or break exam for high school students. Check out the 10 best ways to prepare for the big test.
Common Mental Health Problems in School Children and How to Address Them
Millions of people struggle with mental health issues on a daily basis, but no one wants to think that these issues might affect children. As a parent, it is your responsibility to know what your child needs and to provide it. This includes identifying problem behaviors and seeking treatment when your child needs help.