Portola Springs Elementary School

  • Portola Springs Elementary School serves 626 students in grades Kindergarten-6.
  • The percentage of students achieving proficiency in Math is 77% (which is higher than the California state average of 37%) for the 2015-16 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in Reading/Language Arts is 81% (which is higher than the California state average of 48%) for the 2015-16 school year.
  • Portola Springs Elementary School placed in the top 5% of all schools in California for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 5%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2015-16 school year.
  • The student:teacher ratio of 26:1 is higher than the California state level of 24:1.
  • Minority enrollment is 78% of the student body (majority Asian), which is higher than the California state average of 76%.

Top Placements

Portola Springs Elementary School places among the top 20% of public schools in California for:

  • Category Attribute
  • Overall Rank Highest overall rank (Top 5%)
  • Math Proficiency Highest math proficiency (Top 5%)
  • Reading Language/Arts Proficiency Highest reading language/arts proficiency (Top 10%)

School Overview

  • Portola Springs Elementary School's student population of 626 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
  • The teacher population of 24 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Grades OfferedGrades Kindergarten-6
Total Students626 students
Total Classroom Teachers24 teachers
Students by GradeThis chart display the students of Portola Springs Elementary School by grade.

School Comparison

  • Portola Springs Elementary School is ranked within the top 5% of all 9,595 schools in California (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-16 school year.
  • The school's student:teacher ratio of 26:1 has stayed the same over five school years.
  • The diversity score of Portola Springs Elementary School is 0.59, which is more than the diversity score at state average of 0.41. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year DataThis SchoolState Level (CA)
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
77%
37%
This chart display the percentage of students that scored at or above 'proficient' levels in Math of Portola Springs Elementary School and the percentage of public school students that scored at or above 'proficient' levels in Math of public schools in California by year, with the latest 2015-16 school year data.
Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
81%
48%
This chart display the percentage of students that scored at or above 'proficient' levels in Reading/Language Arts of Portola Springs Elementary School and the percentage of public school students that scored at or above 'proficient' levels in Reading/Language Arts of California by year, with the latest 2015-16 school year data.
Student : Teacher Ratio26:124:1
Asian
59%
11%
Hispanic
10%
54%
Black
1%
6%
White
22%
24%
Two or more races
8%
4%
All Ethnic GroupsThis chart display the percentage breakdown of students of all ethnic groups in Portola Springs Elementary School.This chart display the percentage breakdown of public school students of all ethnic groups in CA.
Diversity Score0.590.41
Eligible for Free Lunch
2%
50%
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
2%
9%
School Statewide TestingView Education Department Test Scores
School District NameIrvine Unified School District
Source: 2015-2016 (latest school year available) NCES, CA Dept. of Education

Nearby Public Schools

  • The nearest high school to Portola Springs Elementary School is Portola High School (1.5 miles away)
  • The nearest middle school is Beacon Park (1.4 miles away)
  • The nearest elementary school is Beacon Park (1.4 miles away)
Show me:

School Reviews

Review Portola Springs Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:

  • Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
  • Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities

I am a:

Name or Alias:

Your review:

Rate this school:
Recent Articles
Having friends makes the tough times a little bit easier, but sometimes making friends is the hardest thing of all. Keep reading to learn about the importance of friendship for young children and how to help your child make friends.
The results of a new study show that private school education may be no better than public school education. Keep reading to learn more about this study and to learn how to make the right choice between private and public school education for your child.
Each year, millions of students neglect to fill out the FAFSA and, in doing so, miss out on the chance to receive federal student aid. Keep reading to learn why every high school student should apply for financial aid, whether or not they qualify and regardless of their intention to use it.