Southern High School
Southern High School places among the top 20% of public schools in Maryland for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 20%)
- Southern High School's student population of 1,063 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 65 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Awards||Blue Ribbon School (2009)|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||1,063 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||65 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Southern High School's student:teacher ratio of 16:1 has decreased from 17:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (MD)|
|Overall School Rank||#45 out of 1,367 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||16:1||15:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch||n/a||n/a|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch||n/a||n/a|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Anne Arundel County Public s School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Lothian Lothian Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 483 students
5175 Solomons Island Rd
Lothian, MD 20711
(410)222-1697 2.9 PK-5 483
- Lothian Southern Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 734 students
5235 Solomons Island Rd
Lothian, MD 20711
(410)222-1659 3.1 6-8 734
- Davidsonville Davidsonville Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 663 students
962 Central Ave West
Davidsonville, MD 21035
(410)222-1655 3.6 K-5 663
- Edgewater Center Of Applied Technology-south
211 Central Ave E
Edgewater, MD 21037
(410)956-5900 5.0 n/a n/a
We provide an overview and current status of the Race to the Top program that was designed as an incentive and funding program to promote education reform in public school districts across the country.
Being a parent is never easy, but some children are more challenging than others. If you're concerned that your child's behavioral issues might be more than just temporary, consider whether an alternative school might be the next move.
All students deserve to have an equal chance at academic success but not every student learns in the same way. Alternative schools provide students with unique challenges or abilities an opportunity to succeed in a different educational setting. Keep reading to learn more about alternative schools and their impact on college admissions.