St Helens Middle School serves 613 students in grades 6-8.
St Helens Middle School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Oregon for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is <50% (which is higher than the Oregon state average of 32%) for the 2020-21 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is ≥50% (which is higher than the Oregon state average of 47%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 19:1 is higher than the Oregon state level of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 22% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the Oregon state average of 40% (majority Hispanic).
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: 6-8
- Enrollment: 613 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 19:1
- Minority Enrollment: 22%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 30% in OR
- Math Proficiency: <50% (Top 20%)
- Reading Proficiency: ≥50% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), OR Dept. of Education
St Helens Middle School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Oregon for:
Most improved public schools
St Helens Middle School's student population of 613 students has grown by 55% over five school years.
The teacher population of 32 teachers has grown by 39% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
St Helens Middle School is ranked within the top 30% of all 740 schools in Oregon (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of St Helens Middle School is 0.38, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.58. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (OR)
Overall Testing Rank
#155 out of 740 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), OR Dept. of Education
Frequently Asked Questions
What is St Helens Middle School's ranking?
St Helens Middle School is ranked #155 out of 740 schools, which ranks it among the top 30% of public schools in Oregon.
What schools are St Helens Middle School often compared to?
St Helens Middle Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like Scappoose Middle School, St Helens Arthur Academy by visitors of our site.
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
<50% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 32% OR state average), while ≥50% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 47% OR state average).
How many students attend St Helens Middle School?
613 students attend St Helens Middle School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
78% of St Helens Middle School students are White, 10% of students are Hispanic, 7% of students are Two or more races, 2% of students are American Indian, 1% of students are Asian, 1% of students are Black, and 1% of students are Hawaiian.
What is the student:teacher ratio of St Helens Middle School?
St Helens Middle School has a student ration of 19:1, which is higher than the Oregon state average of 17:1.
What grades does St Helens Middle School offer ?
St Helens Middle School offers enrollment in grades 6-8
What school district is St Helens Middle School part of?
St Helens Middle School is part of St Helens School District 502.
This middle school is a fine school for the small town of St. Helens. The academics are average, but the band/ choir program is award winning. They do require Physical Education to all students unless there is an excpetion. The quality of the structure is not bad. the gym was recently re-done, and the building is in good shape. Parents from around the area are usually very involved in things like talent shows and programs put on by the students.
Review St Helens Middle School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
A Story of Overcoming Common Reading Difficulties
Follow the story of Sarah, a fictional character who overcame common reading difficulties with the help of the three cueing system. This blog post explores the advantages and disadvantages of the three cueing system and provides strategies for implementing it effectively.
Voucher Program Update: Florida
Many states now offer voucher programs. We look at the voucher program available in Florida.
Standardized tests have a long history in American K-12 education. We examine what standardized tests evaluate and more.