Thompson Elementary School serves 10 students in grades Kindergarten-8.
Thompson Elementary School placed in the top 30% of all schools in California for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is <50% (which is higher than the California state average of 34%) for the 2020-21 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is <50% (which is higher than the California state average of 49%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 3:1 is lower than the California state level of 21:1.
- School Type: Special education school
- Grades: Kindergarten-8
- Enrollment: 10 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 3:1
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 30% in CA
- Math Proficiency: <50% (Top 20%)
- Reading Proficiency: <50% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
Thompson Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
Most improved public schools
Thompson Elementary School's student population of 10 students has declined by 67% over five school years.
The teacher population of 3 teachers has declined by 25% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Thompson Elementary School is ranked within the top 30% of all 3,649 schools in California (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of Thompson Elementary School is 0.55, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.63. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2021-2022 School Year Data
State Level (CA)
Overall Testing Rank
#840 out of 3649 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2021-2022 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Thompson Elementary School's ranking?
Thompson Elementary School is ranked #840 out of 3,649 schools, which ranks it among the top 30% of public schools in California.
What schools are Thompson Elementary School often compared to?
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
<50% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 34% CA state average), while <50% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 49% CA state average).
How many students attend Thompson Elementary School?
10 students attend Thompson Elementary School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
60% of Thompson Elementary School students are Hispanic, 30% of students are Asian, and 10% of students are Black.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Thompson Elementary School?
Thompson Elementary School has a student ration of 3:1, which is lower than the California state average of 21:1.
What grades does Thompson Elementary School offer ?
Thompson Elementary School offers enrollment in grades Kindergarten-8
What school district is Thompson Elementary School part of?
Thompson Elementary School is part of El Monte City School District.
Review Thompson Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Spitting Rhymes for Flashy Grades: The Link Between Hip Hop Curriculum and Improved Learning
Can rap lyrics and hip hop beats help students learn more? Studies and some public schools say yes!
When Field Trips Turn Deadly: Who is Responsible?
Recent deaths during field trips have parents and school officials questioning the safety of these excursions. Learn about these tragedies and what parameters should be in place to ensure a safe field trip.
D.C. Schools: Controversial Growth of Charter Schools
Charter schools are growing in DC, and we analyze the response to recent numbers that show the student population in D.C. charter schools has outpaced the numbers for traditional public schools throughout the district.