Avalon Elementary School
- Avalon Elementary School's student population of 264 students has declined by 8% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 16 teachers has grown by 6% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||264 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||16 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Avalon Elementary School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 3,167 schools in Michigan (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-17 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has decreased from 19:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (MI)|
|Overall School Rank (16-17)||#2161 out of 3167 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||25-29%|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||35-39%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||18:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||South Lake Schools School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Harper Woods Charles A Poupard Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 306 students
20655 Lennon St
Harper Woods, MI 48225
(313)432-4800 1.0 PK-5 306
- Saint Clair Shores Elmwood Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 328 students
22700 California St
Saint Clair Shores, MI 48080
(586)435-1100 1.2 K-5 328
South Lake Schools and Avalon Elementary work hard for their students! There have been slow, positive changes made to the curriculum over that last few years. Science, math and writing have made vast improvements. My fellow teachers are hard workers and make every effort to differentiate to meet the needs of their students. The facilities are slowly improving, with bonds allowing us to update computer labs and security measures. Music, art, foreign language, technology and P.E. are all still part of the elementary schools! Many of the schools have a variety of sports and extracurricular activities. This year Avalon had Girls on the Run, martial arts, ecology club, a basketball program, walking club and more!
- Posted by Teacher - Mrs. Staff Member
Being a teacher has never been easy but changes in federal funding and legislation have made it harder than ever for public school teachers. Keep reading to learn more.
Say goodbye to mystery meat - and all other types of meat - at public school cafeterias that are embracing the Meatless Monday trend.
Schools all over the country have closed their doors to slow the spread of COVID-19, forcing educators and parents to switch to online learning strategies. Read on to learn where to start with homeschooling and for helpful resources for learning at home.