Bar-o places among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
- Category Attribute
- Diversity Most diverse schools (Top 10%)
- Percent Eligible For Free Lunch Largest percent of students eligible for free lunch (Top 20%)
- Student Attention Lowest teacher:student ratio (Top 5%)
- Bar-o's student population of 7 students has declined by 65% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 2 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|School Type||Alternative school|
|Grades Offered||Grades 7-12|
|Total Students||7 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||2 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Bar-o is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 8,748 schools in California (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2009-10 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 4:1 has decreased from 10:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (CA)|
|Overall School Rank||--|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient) (09-10)||<50%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient) (09-10)||<50%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1||23:1|
|Two or more races||n/a|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch||n/a|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Del Norte County Office of Education School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Cave Junction Evergreen Elementary School Grades: K-4 | 387 students
520 W River St
Cave Junction, OR 97523
(541)592-3136 13.3 K-4 387
- Cave Junction Illinois Valley High School Grades: 9-12 | 345 students
625 E. River St.
Cave Junction, OR 97523
(541)592-2116 13.6 9-12 345
- Gasquet Mountain Elementary School Grades: K-8 | 29 students
55 Azalea Ln.
Gasquet, CA 95543
(707)457-3211 15.7 K-8 29
- Happy Camp Happy Camp High School Grades: 9-12 | 63 students
234 Indian Creek Rd.
Happy Camp, CA 96039
(530)493-2697 21.8 9-12 63
As the school year kicks into full swing, we examine the many fees and other hidden costs lurking in a “free” public education today.
Being a parent is never easy, but some children are more challenging than others. If you're concerned that your child's behavioral issues might be more than just temporary, consider whether an alternative school might be the next move.
All students deserve to have an equal chance at academic success but not every student learns in the same way. Alternative schools provide students with unique challenges or abilities an opportunity to succeed in a different educational setting. Keep reading to learn more about alternative schools and their impact on college admissions.