Cowles Elementary School
Cowles Elementary School places among the top 20% of public schools in Iowa for:
- Category Attribute
- Overall Rank Highest overall rank (Top 10%)
- Math Proficiency Highest math proficiency (Top 20%)
- Reading Language/Arts Proficiency Highest reading language/arts proficiency (Top 1%)
- Cowles Elementary School's student population of 408 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 24 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-8|
|Total Students||408 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||24 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Cowles Elementary School is ranked within the top 10% of all 1,239 schools in Iowa (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-17 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has stayed the same over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (IA)|
|Overall School Rank||#90 out of 1239 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||14:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Des Moines Independent Comm School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Des Moines Focus Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 21 students
6401 College Ave
Des Moines, IA 50311
(515)242-7795 0.1 6-8 21
- Windsor Heights Clive Learning Academy Grades: PK-6 | 516 students
1600 73rd Street
Windsor Heights, IA 50324
(515)633-5800 0.6 PK-6 516
- Des Moines Windsor Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 358 students
5912 University Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50311
(515)242-8440 0.6 PK-5 358
- Des Moines Hillis Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 381 students
2401 56th St
Des Moines, IA 50310
(515)242-8412 0.8 PK-5 381
- Clive Crestview School Of Inquiry Grades: PK-6 | 556 students
8355 Franklin Avenue
Clive, IA 50325
(515)633-5700 1.4 PK-6 556
As public schools in the United States continue to increase in their racial, ethnic, economic, and religious diversity, some districts need to rethink their holiday celebrations in a manner that is inclusive and respectful of all people.
As schools around the country close for two weeks or more, parents find themselves asking some tough questions. Read on to learn about the current and future impact of COVID-19 on students in public schools.
Every child learns differently and it’s a teacher’s job to meet students where they are and guide them through the learning process. Scaffolding is a teaching tool that helps students develop critical thinking skills and the ability to learn independently.