East High School serves 2,589 students in grades 9-12.
East High School placed in the top 10% of all schools in Colorado for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 50% (which is higher than the Colorado state average of 33%) for the 2020-21 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 75% (which is higher than the Colorado state average of 47%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 21:1 is higher than the Colorado state level of 15:1.
Minority enrollment is 49% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is higher than the Colorado state average of 48% (majority Hispanic).
- Grades: 9-12
- Enrollment: 2,589 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 21:1
- Minority Enrollment: 49%
- Graduation Rate: 93% (Top 20% in CO)
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 10%
- Math Proficiency: 50% (Top 20%)
- Reading Proficiency: 75% (Top 10%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CO Dept. of Education
East High School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Colorado for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
East High School's student population of 2,589 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 124 teachers has declined by 7% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
East High School is ranked within the top 10% of all 1,734 schools in Colorado (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of East High School is 0.67, which is more than the diversity score at state average of 0.61. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2021-2022 School Year Data
State Level (CO)
Overall Testing Rank
#128 out of 1734 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2021-2022 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CO Dept. of Education
- East High School is a High School located in Denver, Colorado. It is part of the Denver Public Schools System.
- History: East opened in 1875 at 1731 Arapahoe Street and was the first high school in Denver. The first graduating class was in 1877. In 1889 it moved to 19th and Stout because of a need for more room. This location is now referred to as "Old East." The school featured a gracious flight of stairs leading to the entrance, which was notable for its sculpture of the face of a young girl, sculpted as an Angel. School architect Robert S. Roeschlaub and the school board decided to use a local childhood beauty instead of a Greek face to symbolize the school's "dedication to youth." The sculptor was Preston Powers, famous for his statue of the Indian on the grounds of the state capitol. Five thousand girls across the city were visited as part of a campaign to find the model for the face and six-year-old Ella Catherine Matty was selected. The statue was so lovely that East High students have since been East Angels. When "Old East" was demolished in 1925, this keystone was removed and placed in a rock garden at the current location of East, 1545 Detroit St. The architect was Denver native George Hebard Williamson, an 1893 graduate of East High. He won national recognition for his design of the "new" East, which has a clock tower modeled after Independence Hall in Philadelphia. East is the largest school In early 1991, the East High building was declared an official Denver Historic Landmark by the Denver Landmark Commission and the Denver City Council. In July 2005 a music video for the song Over My Head (Cable Car), The Fray (band) was filmed in East High. East is also a Colorado 5A sports powerhouse in several sports including basketball (State Champions in 2004) soccer, lacrosse, rugby (state champions in 1997, 2002, and 2004) and football (In 2006 the Angels made it to the 5A playoffs for the first time in 12 years). The East men's basketball was recentley named the best basketball team in the state according to RISE Magazine and Sports Illustrated.
- Alumni: Beat icon Neal Cassady attended East for a short time.
- Don Cheadle.
- Judy Collins.
- Three members of Earth, Wind & Fire who were East Alumni were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: Philip Bailey, Andrew Woolfolk, Larry Dunn.
- Douglas Fairbanks, who was expelled from East High went on to become one of the most famous silent movie stars of all time.
- Pam Grier.
- General Robert T. Herres, first Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
- Harold Lloyd.
- Hattie McDaniel (the first African American to win an Oscar for her performance in Gone with the Wind).
- Ron Miles.
- Antoinette Perry (the namesake of the Tony Awards).
- Dianne Reeves.
- Marilyn VanDerBar (1958 Miss America).
- Paul Whiteman.
- George Hebard Williamson architect of East High.
- Bill Frisell jazz guitarist.
- Adam Cayton-Holland writer at the Westword newspaper.
- Golda Mier attended though did not graduate from East High School.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is East High School's ranking?
East High School is ranked #128 out of 1,734 schools, which ranks it among the top 10% of public schools in Colorado.
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
50% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 33% CO state average), while 75% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 47% CO state average).
What is the graduation rate of East High School?
The graduation rate of East High School is 93%, which is higher than the Colorado state average of 81%.
How many students attend East High School?
2,589 students attend East High School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
51% of East High School students are White, 22% of students are Hispanic, 16% of students are Black, 8% of students are Two or more races, and 3% of students are Asian.
What is the student:teacher ratio of East High School?
East High School has a student ration of 21:1, which is higher than the Colorado state average of 15:1.
What grades does East High School offer ?
East High School offers enrollment in grades 9-12
What school district is East High School part of?
East High School is part of School District No. 1 In The County Of Denver And State Of C.
Review East High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
The Link between Music and a Child’s Math Abilities
Learn about the influence of music on a child’s cognitive mathematical abilities.
August 04, 2023Preparing for a Successful 'Back to School'
A one-stop guide for parents navigating the 'back to school' season, providing practical and effective strategies tailored to every grade level - from pre-K to high school.
July 25, 2023The Evolving Role of Interim Assessments
Explore the often-overlooked tool in K-12 education - interim assessments. Understand what they are, their importance, and how they can enhance your child's learning experience. Dive into real-world case studies and find out how technology is changing the game. This informative, parent-friendly article aims to shed light on the value of these assessments in today's educational landscape.