Atherton Community Schools School District
- For the 2021 school year, there are 3 public schools in Atherton Community Schools School District, serving 887 students. Atherton Community Schools School District has one of the highest concentrations of top ranked public schools in Michigan.
- Public schools in Atherton Community Schools School District have an average math proficiency score of 10% (versus the Michigan public school average of 33%), and reading proficiency score of 19% (versus the 39% statewide average). This district's average testing ranking is 2/10, which is in the bottom 50% of public schools in Michigan.
- Minority enrollment is 43% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the Michigan public school average of 34% (majority Black).
- The student:teacher ratio of 20:1 is more than the Michigan public school average of 18:1.
|School District Name||Atherton Community Schools School District|
|School District Website||http://www.athertonschools.org|
|School District Phone Number||(810) 591-9182|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (MI)|
|# of Schools||3 Schools||3,735 Schools|
|# of Students||887 Students||1,472,301 Students|
|# of Teachers||45 Teachers||82,182 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||20:1||18:1|
- Atherton Community Schools School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 869 school districts in Michigan (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-2018 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 65-69% has decreased from 75-79% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (MI)|
|Overall Testing Rank||#774 out of 869 school districts|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||4 Students||9,974 Students|
|% American Indian Students||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||n/a||49,834 Students|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||68 Students||114,872 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||223 Students||260,793 Students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||506 Students||978,273 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a||1,272 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||86 Students||57,365 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||-||-|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||71||116,607|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||49||105,799|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||47||103,933|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||48||105,395|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||52||107,959|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||55||112,259|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||58||112,463|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||70||111,894|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||73||114,566|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||99||123,361|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||88||121,139|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||96||115,656|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||81||117,214|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-||4,056|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $10,806 in this school district is less than the state median of $13,151. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $10,758 is less than the state median of $13,281. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017||This School District||This State (MI)|
|Total Revenue||$10 MM||$10 MM|
|Spending||$10 MM||$10 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$10,806||$13,151|
|Revenue / Student||$10,758||$13,281|
Atherton Community Schools School District Public Schools (2021)
- School (Math and Reading Proficiency) Location Grades Students
- Atherton Vern Van Y Educational Center 2400 Clarice Ave
Burton, MI 48519
Grades: PK-12 | 75 students
- Atherton Elementary School 3444 South Genesee Rd
Burton, MI 48519
Grades: K-6 | 380 students
- Atherton Junior Senior High School 3354 South Genesee Rd
Burton, MI 48519
Grades: 7-12 | 432 students
In light of an upcoming study on Montessori education in South Carolina, as well as the growing popularity of the Montessori Method in public charter schools, we’ll take a look at the principles behind Montessori education and whether it is an effective method for preparing some students for the professional world or higher education.
Across the nation, city mayors have increased their role and control over the local public school system. Learn about the controversies and the ramifications of mayoral control.
In light of all the finger-pointing occurring in the education reform movement, we’ll look at the good and bad of teachers unions – and whether these organizations really work in favor of students and/or teachers.