Middletown High School
Middletown High School serves 1,142 students in grades 9-12.
Middletown High School placed in the top 5% of all schools in Maryland for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 5%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 77% (which is higher than the Maryland state average of 38%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 78% (which is higher than the Maryland state average of 46%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 19:1 is higher than the Maryland state level of 15:1.
Minority enrollment is 13% of the student body (majority Hispanic and Asian), which is lower than the Maryland state average of 63% (majority Black).
Middletown High School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Maryland for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Middletown High School's student population of 1,142 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 59 teachers has grown by 5% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Middletown High School is ranked within the top 5% of all 1,354 schools in Maryland (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Middletown High School is 0.24, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.72. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data
State Level (MD)
Overall Testing Rank
#51 out of 1354 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2017-2018 (latest school year available) NCES, MD Dept. of Education
The academic programs at Middletown are top-notch. There is a large array of AP courses offered, as well as an APEX program for incoming freshmen. The athletic program is just as satisfactory; sports teams regularly make it to state competitions. The Arts programs are wonderful, as well. Both the chorus and band send students to All-State Band and Chorus, and the Auditioned Chorus (Vocal Ensemble) received a 1 at state adjudications in 2008. There are all different types of visual arts courses offered, including photography, sculpture, and computer graphics. The school also never fails to put on an excellent fall play and spring musical every year.
Review Middletown High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Seclusion and Restraint: How Some Public Schools Allow Abuse in Classrooms
Across the country, the implementation of seclusion and restraint and disciplinary measures could be considered child abuse. Learn about the policies that are being enacted in order to protect public school students.
How Should Public Schools Make Up for Snow Days?
Amidst record-breaking snowfall, public schools have shut their doors for an unprecedented number of snow days. Learn about how public schools are planning to make up for the snow days, including extending school hours and even holding classes on Saturdays.
Understanding Education Secretary Arne Duncan: How His CEO Experience Translates for America’s Public Schools
Learn about Education Secretary Arne Duncan and how his experience in Chicago will shape the reforms facing the American education landscape today.