New Haven Academy
New Haven Academy places among the top 20% of public schools in Connecticut for:
- Category Attribute
- Percent Eligible For Free Lunch Largest percent of students eligible for free lunch (Top 20%)
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 20%)
New Haven Academy's student population of 280 students has grown by 6% over five school years.
The teacher population of 21 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|School Type||Magnet School|
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||280 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||21 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
New Haven Academy is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 951 schools in Connecticut (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
The diversity score of New Haven Academy is 0.47, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.64. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (CT)|
Overall Testing Rank
|#840 out of 951 schools|
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1||12:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||New Haven School District|
- College Classes During High School
- Unique dual enrollment program with Quinnipiac University for qualified 11th and 12th graders; access to classes at SCSU, Gateway, UNH, and Yale University
- Project-Based Learning: Students complete independent projects in their core classes then present their work to panels, classes and invited guests.
- Personal Attention: All students have academic advisors who oversee their progress and communicate regularly with parents.
- After-School Opportunities: Academic support offered daily; enrichment opportunities including Debate Team, Newspaper, Yearbook, Drama, and intramural athletics.
Nearby Public Schools
The nearest high school, middle school and elementary school to New Haven Academy is Highville Charter School (0.0 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Hamden Church Street School Grades: PK-6 | 300 students
95 Church St.
Hamden, CT 06514
(203) 407-2020 0.7 PK-6 300
- North Haven Cortlandt V.r. Creed Health And Sport Sciences High School Grades: 9-12 | 250 students
88 Bassett Road
North Haven, CT 06473
(475) 220-6300 0.8 9-12 250
- Hamden Eli Whitney Technical High School Grades: 9-12 | 551 students
100 Fairview Ave
Hamden, CT 06514
(203) 397-4031 1.1 9-12 551
- Hamden Helen Street School Grades: PK-6 | 315 students
285 Helen St.
Hamden, CT 06514
(203) 407-2030 1.1 PK-6 315
Learn about why technical public high schools are earning attention for their unique career-training opportunities.
In light of an upcoming study on Montessori education in South Carolina, as well as the growing popularity of the Montessori Method in public charter schools, we’ll take a look at the principles behind Montessori education and whether it is an effective method for preparing some students for the professional world or higher education.
Some educators and community leaders are pushing for more math and science at the high school level. Is the move really necessary and if so, how do schools get students more interested in these STEM subjects?