Old Harbor School
Old Harbor School places among the top 20% of public schools in Alaska for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 20%)
- Student Attention Lowest teacher:student ratio (Top 1%)
- Old Harbor School's student population of 27 students has declined by 15% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 5 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-12|
|Total Students||27 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||5 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Old Harbor School is ranked within the top 30% of all 466 schools in Alaska (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 5:1 has decreased from 6:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (AK)|
|Overall School Rank||#107 out of 466 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||<50%|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||<50%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||17:1|
|Two or more races||n/a|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Graduation Rate (13-14)||<50%|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch||n/a|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Kodiak Island Borough School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- The nearest high school, middle school and elementary school to Old Harbor School is Larsen Bay School (34.1 miles away)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Kodiak Akhiok School Grades: K-12 | 19 students
Kodiak, AK 99615
(907)836-2223 36.8 K-12 19
- Karluk Karluk School Grades: K-12 | 9 students
Karluk, AK 99608
(907)241-2217 47.6 K-12 9
- Port Lions Port Lions School Grades: K-12 | 6 students
Port Lions, AK 99550
(907)454-2237 48.5 K-12 6
- Kodiak Chiniak School Grades: K-12 | 18 students
36158 Chiniak Hwy
Kodiak, AK 99615
(907)486-8323 50.0 K-12 18
What happens when a school district stops busing students? Could segregation once again be a reality for public school districts? Wake County in North Carolina is testing the segregation waters with its decision to stop busing students in their district.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the financial impact of COVID-19 on public schools and what to expect in the future. We’ll talk about the effects of budget cuts and other challenges affecting the public school system for the remainder of this school year and into the next.
As the nation works to recover from COVID-19, parents wonder what the fall of 2020 holds in terms of the upcoming school year. Read on to learn some tips for preparing for potential challenges and to see the answers to some of the biggest questions being asked by parents of school-age children.