Stonewall Jackson Middle School
Stonewall Jackson Middle School places among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Diversity Most diverse schools (Top 20%)
- Percent Eligible For Free Lunch Largest percent of students eligible for free lunch (Top 10%)
- Stonewall Jackson Middle School's student population of 571 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 41 teachers has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 6-8|
|Total Students||571 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||41 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Stonewall Jackson Middle School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 1,801 schools in Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-17 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 14:1 has increased from 13:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (VA)|
|Overall School Rank (16-17)||#1280 out of 1801 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1||15:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch||n/a|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Roanoke City School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Roanoke Morningside Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 288 students
1716 Wilson Avenue Se
Roanoke, VA 24013
(540)853-2991 0.4 PK-5 288
- Roanoke Fallon Park Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 660 students
502 19th St Se
Roanoke, VA 24013
(540)853-2535 0.8 PK-5 660
- Roanoke Highland Park Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 355 students
1212 5th St Sw
Roanoke, VA 24016
(540)853-2963 1.4 PK-5 355
- Roanoke Addison Aerospace Magnet Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 609 students
1220 5th Street Nw
Roanoke, VA 24016
(540)853-2681 1.7 6-8 609
- Roanoke Lincoln Terrace Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 353 students
1802 Liberty Rd Nw
Roanoke, VA 24012
(540)853-2994 1.8 PK-5 353
I feel the teachers are perfectly fine especially in the conditions in which they work. They do their job the best they can with what they are supplied with. They may be a little harsh but with kids fighting everyday and constant outbursts they have to be strict and punctilious in order for there to be any foundation. The ethnicity at Stonewall is dangerous especially in a hood rat neighborhood where the boys are being born into a life of crime and drugs where as the girls are being born into a life of dealing with deadbeat spouses. So no the teachers are fine its the parents who refuse to set boundaries for their children and the children who create such a violent atmosphere that makes Stonewall Jackson another dead end for potential
- Posted by Student/Alumni - artem
I like Stonewall Jackson Middle School alot, except some teachers really shouldn't have a job here, much less a license. There are good kids, and a good school altogether, but they should really reconsider certain teachers.
- Posted by Student/Alumni - annen
Read why good diet and nutrition is important for high student performance.
As the nation works to recover from COVID-19, parents wonder what the fall of 2020 holds in terms of the upcoming school year. Read on to learn some tips for preparing for potential challenges and to see the answers to some of the biggest questions being asked by parents of school-age children.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the financial impact of COVID-19 on public schools and what to expect in the future. We’ll talk about the effects of budget cuts and other challenges affecting the public school system for the remainder of this school year and into the next.