Westover Elementary School serves 281 students in grades Prekindergarten-5.
Westover Elementary School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Maryland for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 35-39% (which is higher than the Maryland state average of 20%) for the 2020-21 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 30-34% (which is lower than the Maryland state average of 36%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 12:1 is lower than the Maryland state level of 14:1.
Minority enrollment is 80% of the student body (majority Black), which is higher than the Maryland state average of 66% (majority Black and Hispanic).
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: Prekindergarten-5
- Enrollment: 281 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 12:1
- Minority Enrollment: 80%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 30% in MD
- Math Proficiency: 35-39% (Top 20%)
- Reading Proficiency: 30-34% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), MD Dept. of Education
Westover Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Maryland for:
Westover Elementary School's student population of 281 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
The teacher population of 23 teachers has grown by 9% over five school years.
(offers virtual instruction)
(offers virtual instruction)
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Westover Elementary School is ranked within the top 30% of all 1,343 schools in Maryland (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of Westover Elementary School is 0.75, which is more than the diversity score at state average of 0.73. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (MD)
Overall Testing Rank
#368 out of 1343 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), MD Dept. of Education
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Westover Elementary School's ranking?
Westover Elementary School is ranked #368 out of 1,343 schools, which ranks it among the top 30% of public schools in Maryland.
What schools are Westover Elementary School often compared to?
Westover Elementary Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like Dr. Charles R. Drew Elementary School by visitors of our site.
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
35-39% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 20% MD state average), while 30-34% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 36% MD state average).
How many students attend Westover Elementary School?
281 students attend Westover Elementary School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
37% of Westover Elementary School students are Black, 25% of students are Hispanic, 20% of students are White, 10% of students are Asian, and 8% of students are Two or more races.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Westover Elementary School?
Westover Elementary School has a student ration of 12:1, which is lower than the Maryland state average of 14:1.
What grades does Westover Elementary School offer ?
Westover Elementary School offers enrollment in grades Prekindergarten-5 (offers virtual instruction).
What school district is Westover Elementary School part of?
Westover Elementary School is part of Montgomery County Public Schools School District.
Review Westover Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Public Schools Struggle to Accommodate Unaccompanied Migrant Children
Undocumented and unaccompanied migrant children, particularly among Hispanic populations, are rapidly increasing in number, especially in the southern United States. Federal law requires public schools to provide services to all children. Yet, many schools are struggling to accommodate this new wave of potential students who come to them without parents or guardians, while some municipalities are flat out refusing to accommodate these children.
Voucher Program Update: Florida
Many states now offer voucher programs. We look at the voucher program available in Florida.
March 06, 2023Have Smartphones Ruined Public Education?
I used to think that students having smartphones in school was a bad thing. Not any more. Here are my reasons why.