Barbour County School District
- For the 2020-21 school year, there are 3 public schools in Barbour County School District, serving 824 students. Barbour County School District has one of the highest concentrations of top ranked public schools in Alabama.
- Public schools in Barbour County School District have an average math proficiency score of 14% (versus the Alabama public school average of 47%), and reading proficiency score of 16% (versus the 46% statewide average). This district's average testing ranking is in the bottom 50% of public schools in Alabama.
- Minority enrollment is 95% of the student body (majority Black), which is more than the Alabama public school average of 45% (majority Black).
- The student:teacher ratio of 18:1 is equal to the Alabama public school average of 18:1.
|School District Name||Barbour County School District|
|School District Website||http://www.barbourschools.org|
|School District Phone Number||(334) 367-8280|
|2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AL)|
|# of Schools||3 Schools||1,474 Schools|
|# of Students||824 Students||742,195 Students|
|# of Teachers||47 Teachers||42,154 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||18:1||18:1|
- Barbour County School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 138 school districts in Alabama (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 70-79% has increased from 65-69% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (AL)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||3 Students||6,934 Students|
|% American Indian Students||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||n/a||10,786 Students|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||120 Students||58,766 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||652 Students||243,597 Students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||45 Students||404,645 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||2 Students||840 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||2 Students||16,627 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students||n/a|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||52||15,520|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||70||54,954|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||68||56,387|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||74||55,562|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||71||57,484|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||55||58,492|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||51||57,872|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||55||55,711|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||64||55,600|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||44||55,226|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||54||57,301|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||48||55,318|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||68||53,920|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||50||52,848|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-||-|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $10,683 is higher than the state average of $10,446. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $12,283 is higher than the state average of $10,415. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AL)|
|Total Revenue||$11 MM||$30 MM|
|Spending||$13 MM||$30 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$10,683||$10,446|
|Spending / Student||$12,283||$10,415|
Barbour County School District Public Schools (2020-21)
Gangs, drugs, and guns may be more prevalent on public school campuses than parents think. Learn about the high percentage of public school students who are exposed to these dangers each day – and what parents can do to protect their kids.
President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper initiative aims to improve academic opportunities for students of color, especially African-American boys.
Learn about how public schools across the country are mandating community service hours in order to graduate.