Northwest Arctic Borough School District
- For the 2020 school year, there are 13 top public schools in Northwest Arctic Borough School District, serving 2,131 students.
- Public school in Northwest Arctic Borough School District have an average math proficiency score of 11% (versus Alaska public school average of 32%), and reading proficiency score of 13% (versus 39% Alaska statewide average). This district's average school ranking is in the bottom 50% of public schools in Alaska.
- The school with highest math proficiency is June Nelson Elementary School, with 20-24% math proficiency. Read more about public school math proficiency statistics in Alaska or national school math proficiency statistics.
- The school with highest reading language/arts proficiency is Kotzebue Middle/High School, with 23% reading language/arts proficiency. Read more about public school reading language/arts proficiency statistics in Alaska or national school reading language/arts proficiency statistics.
- Minority enrollment is 97% of the student body (majority American Indian) , which is more than the Alaska public school average of 52% (majority American Indian).
- The student:teacher ratio of 16:1 is less than the Alaska public school average of 17:1.
|School District Name||Northwest Arctic Borough School District|
|School District Website||http://www.nwarctic.org|
|School District Phone Number||(907)442-1802|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AK)|
|# of Schools||13 Schools||506 Schools|
|# of Students||2,131 Students||132,726 Students|
|# of Teachers||133 Teachers||7,790 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||16:1||17:1|
- Northwest Arctic Borough School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 54 school districts in Alaska (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 80-84% has increased from 50-54% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (AK)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||1,977 Students||30,377 Students|
|% American Indian Students|
|# of Asian Students||3 Students||7,849 Students|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||4 Students||8,927 Students|
|% Hispanic Students||n/a|
|# of Black Students||4 Students||4,077 Students|
|% Black Students||n/a|
|# of White Students||63 Students||63,436 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||1 Student||3,811 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||79 Students||14,249 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||162||3,246|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||161||10,274|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||179||10,431|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||188||10,523|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||169||10,474|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||186||10,320|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||145||10,116|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||154||9,750|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||134||9,620|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||136||9,410|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||164||9,615|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||110||9,567|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||128||9,646|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||115||9,734|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-||-|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $29,898 is higher than the state average of $25,218. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $30,761 is higher than the state average of $25,399. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School District||This State (AK)|
|Total Revenue||$60 MM||$10 MM|
|Spending||$62 MM||$10 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$29,898||$25,218|
|Spending / Student||$30,761||$25,399|
Northwest Arctic Borough School District Public Schools (2020)
School (Math/Reading Proficiency | AK School Rank)
- Ambler Ambler School 109 Ambler Dr
Ambler, AK 99786
Grades: PK-12 | 77 students
- Noorvik Aqqaluk High/noorvik Elementary School 165 Fireweed Dr
Noorvik, AK 99763
Grades: PK-12 | 202 students
- Buckland Buckland School 9900 University Dr
Buckland, AK 99727
Grades: PK-12 | 186 students
- Selawik Davis-ramoth School 2600 Musk Ox Parkway
Selawik, AK 99770
Grades: PK-12 | 271 students
- Deering Deering School 36 Main St
Deering, AK 99736
Grades: PK-12 | 41 students
- Kotzebue June Nelson Elementary School 744 Third Avenue
Kotzebue, AK 99752
Grades: PK-5 | 397 students
- Kiana Kiana School 190 Casanoff St
Kiana, AK 99749
Grades: PK-12 | 126 students
- Kobuk Kobuk School 101 Mushers Way
Kobuk, AK 99751
Grades: PK-12 | 47 students
- Kotzebue Kotzebue Middle/High School 744 Third Ave
Kotzebue, AK 99752
Grades: 6-12 | 334 students
- Kivalina Mcqueen School #6 Oceanside Expressway
Kivalina, AK 99750
Grades: PK-12 | 145 students
- Noatak Napaaqtugmiut School #2 Airport Road
Noatak, AK 99761
Grades: PK-12 | 184 students
- Kotzebue Nwabsd Home School 744 Third Avenue
Kotzebue, AK 99752
Grades: K-12 | 31 students
- Shungnak Shungnak School #6 West River Road
Shungnak, AK 99773
Grades: PK-12 | 90 students
Schools all over the country have closed their doors to slow the spread of COVID-19, forcing educators and parents to switch to online learning strategies. Read on to learn where to start with homeschooling and for helpful resources for learning at home.
As public schools in the United States continue to increase in their racial, ethnic, economic, and religious diversity, some districts need to rethink their holiday celebrations in a manner that is inclusive and respectful of all people.
As schools around the country close for two weeks or more, parents find themselves asking some tough questions. Read on to learn about the current and future impact of COVID-19 on students in public schools.