Claude Chester School
Claude Chester School places among the top 20% of public schools in Connecticut for:
- Category Attribute
- Diversity Most diverse schools (Top 1%)
- Percent Eligible For Free Lunch Largest percent of students eligible for gree lunch (Top 20%)
- Student Attention Lowest teacher:student ratio (Top 20%)
- Claude Chester School's student population of 331 students has declined by 5% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 29 teachers has declined by 6% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-5|
|Total Students||331 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||29 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Claude Chester School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 968 schools in Connecticut (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 11:1 has stayed the same over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2015-2016 School Year Data||This School||State Level (CT)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||30-34%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||45-49%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1||13:1|
|Two or more races|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
- The school district of Claude Chester School is Groton School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 195 school districts in Connecticut (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2015-2016 school year.
- Groton School District's student population of 4,491 students has decreased by 6% over five school years.
- The revenue/student of $18,315 in this district is less than the state average of $20,313. The district revenue/student has declined by 7% over four school years.
- The district's spending/student of $18,289 is less than the state average of $19,375. The district spending/student has declined by 5% over four school years.
|School District Name||Groton School District|
|Number of Schools|
|Number of Students Managed||4,491||1,534|
|District Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|District Total Revenue||$88 MM||$31 MM|
|District Spending||$87 MM||$30 MM|
|District Revenue / Student||$18,315||$20,313|
|District Spending / Student||$18,289||$19,375|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Groton Ella T. Grasso Souastern Technical High School Grades: 9-12 | 505 students
189 Fort Hill Rd.
Groton, CT 06340
(860)448-0220 0.7 9-12 505
- Groton New Beginnings Alternative Program High School Grades: 9-12 | 22 students
101 Groton Long Point Rd Fi
Groton, CT 06340
(860)449-7200 0.9 9-12 22
- Mystic Carl C. Cutler Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 495 students
160 Fishtown Rd.
Mystic, CT 06355
(860)572-5830 1.5 6-8 495
- Groton Catherine Kolnaski Magnet School Grades: PK-5 | 400 students
500 Poquonnock Road
Groton, CT 06340
(860)449-5612 1.8 PK-5 400
We analyze on a new study that shows restricting sugary snacks in vending machines in schools resulted in less weight-gain over a three-year period.
A number of school districts across the country are considering the closure of some of their public schools. We’ll look at reasons for the closures and what parents are doing to protest.
We report on the back to school campaign launched by CPS despite huge issues facing the district, including reports of school officials lying to get their children free lunches, conflicts between administrators and teachers’ union, and a lower bond rating.