Claychalkville High School
(offers virtual instruction)
- Clay-Chalkville High School (CCHS) is an United States highschool which was established on August 14, 1996 in Pinson, AL. The school is the largest of 17 high schools in the Jefferson County School System, the second-largest of 127 school systems in the state of Alabama.
- Facilities: The school was designed by David Volkert and others. It is a one-level building with classrooms, computer labs, science labs, a choral room, a band room, a media center, a fine arts room, a video production studio, a food court, practice and spectator gymnasiums, auditorium, and spaces for parking. The school has fields for baseball, softball, football, and practice. Stadium seating was removed from the old Shades Valley High School and repaired for Clay-Chalkville High. The 9,880 sq. ft. media center is a focal point for the school. It overlooks an outdoor amphitheatre through a curved wall of windows. The auditorium has a fully complemented stage with fly tower and scene room.
- Sports: In 1999, the Cougars' football team won the 6A state championship. In 2003, the Cougars' baseball team won the 6A state championship. Women's and men's basketball teams have also advanced to post season games throughout the school's short history. The softball and baseball teams are usually well ranked, and the baseball team has won a state championship. The school also has golf, tennis, track, cross country, cheerleading, wrestling, soccer, and volleyball teams.
- Notable Former Athletes: B.K. Young - Former Football Player at Jacksonville State University Matt Collins - Football Player at the University of Alabama and currently the starting Middle Linebacker. Nathan Farrow - Football Player at Auburn University and currently 2nd string guard. Caleb Waid - Former Football Player at Maryville College. Jeff Jones - Football Player at Jacksonville State University currently in the rotation at defensive tackle. Terrel Smith - Football Player at Tennessee State University currently in the rotation at safety. Spencer Jones - Football Player at Samford University currently redshirted.
- Student Life: Official student organizations include: Ambassadors, Band, Choir, Dance Team, Debate, DECA, FBLA, First Priority, French Club, Heritage Panel, Latin Club, Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, Peer Helpers, Quill and Scroll, Scholar's Bowl, Spanish Club, Student Council, and Thespians.
Review Claychalkville High School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities