Claychalkville High School
Claychalkville High School's student population of 1,292 students has declined by 8% over five school years.
The teacher population of 74 teachers has grown by 5% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades 9-12|
|Total Students||1,292 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||74 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
Claychalkville High School is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 1,270 schools in Alabama (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
The diversity score of Claychalkville High School is 0.48, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.59. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (AL)|
Overall Testing Rank
|#1046 out of 1270 schools|
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||18:1|
|Two or more races||n/a|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Jefferson County School District|
- Clay-Chalkville High School (CCHS) is an United States highschool which was established on August 14, 1996 in Pinson, AL. The school is the largest of 17 high schools in the Jefferson County School System, the second-largest of 127 school systems in the state of Alabama.
- Facilities: The school was designed by David Volkert and others. It is a one-level building with classrooms, computer labs, science labs, a choral room, a band room, a media center, a fine arts room, a video production studio, a food court, practice and spectator gymnasiums, auditorium, and spaces for parking. The school has fields for baseball, softball, football, and practice. Stadium seating was removed from the old Shades Valley High School and repaired for Clay-Chalkville High. The 9,880 sq. ft. media center is a focal point for the school. It overlooks an outdoor amphitheatre through a curved wall of windows. The auditorium has a fully complemented stage with fly tower and scene room.
- Sports: In 1999, the Cougars' football team won the 6A state championship. In 2003, the Cougars' baseball team won the 6A state championship. Women's and men's basketball teams have also advanced to post season games throughout the school's short history. The softball and baseball teams are usually well ranked, and the baseball team has won a state championship. The school also has golf, tennis, track, cross country, cheerleading, wrestling, soccer, and volleyball teams.
- Notable Former Athletes: B.K. Young - Former Football Player at Jacksonville State University Matt Collins - Football Player at the University of Alabama and currently the starting Middle Linebacker. Nathan Farrow - Football Player at Auburn University and currently 2nd string guard. Caleb Waid - Former Football Player at Maryville College. Jeff Jones - Football Player at Jacksonville State University currently in the rotation at defensive tackle. Terrel Smith - Football Player at Tennessee State University currently in the rotation at safety. Spencer Jones - Football Player at Samford University currently redshirted.
- Student Life: Official student organizations include: Ambassadors, Band, Choir, Dance Team, Debate, DECA, FBLA, First Priority, French Club, Heritage Panel, Latin Club, Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, Peer Helpers, Quill and Scroll, Scholar's Bowl, Spanish Club, Student Council, and Thespians.
Nearby Public Schools
The nearest high school to Claychalkville High School is Hewitttrussville High School (2.7 miles away)
The nearest middle school is Claychalkville Middle School (0.4 miles away)
The nearest elementary school is Clay Elementary School (0.4 miles away)
- School (Math and Reading Proficiency) Location Miles Grades Students
- Clay Clay Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 585 students
6745 Old Springville Rd
Clay, AL 35048
(205) 379-3000 0.4 K-5 585
- Trussville Claychalkville Middle School Grades: 6-8 | 941 students
6700 Trussvilleclay Rd
Trussville, AL 35173
(205) 379-3100 0.4 6-8 941
- Trussville Paine Elementary School Grades: K-5 | 1,056 student
7600 Gadsden Highway
Trussville, AL 35173
(205) 228-3200 3.8 K-5 1,056
- Pinson Pinson Valley High School Grades: 9-12 | 995 students
6895 Highway 75
Pinson, AL 35126
(205) 379-5100 3.9 9-12 995
This school is terrible. Students have to much freedom, and no accountability.
- Posted by Parent - Lynda
While Facebook is getting all the attention in teen social media, LinkedIn offers some serious benefits in networking and professional grooming. We look at how high school student can use this network to their advantage.
Teach for America has been applauded for many of its exemplary teachers and innovative training, but can the model be sustained throughout all communities? Learn about what the proponents and critics have to say.
The Obama administration is proposing to leave NCLB behind. Learn about the proposed reforms that will change the No Child Left Behind Act.