Garfield Elementary School
Garfield Elementary School serves 639 students in grades Kindergarten-6.
Garfield Elementary School placed in the top 5% of all schools in California for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 5%, and reading proficiency is top 10%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 78% (which is higher than the California state average of 40%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 80% (which is higher than the California state average of 51%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 23:1 is higher than the California state level of 22:1.
Minority enrollment is 46% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is lower than the California state average of 78% (majority Hispanic).
- Grades: Kindergarten-6
- Enrollment: 639 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 23:1
- Minority Enrollment: 46%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 5% in CA
- Math Proficiency: 78% (Top 5%)
- Reading Proficiency: 80% (Top 10%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
Garfield Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in California for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Garfield Elementary School's student population of 639 students has declined by 11% over five school years.
The teacher population of 28 teachers has grown by 12% over five school years.
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Garfield Elementary School is ranked within the top 5% of all 9,659 schools in California (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Garfield Elementary School is 0.63, which is equal to the diversity score at state average of 0.63. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (CA)
Overall Testing Rank
#438 out of 9659 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), CA Dept. of Education
Review Garfield Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Teaching: Using Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality can enhance your lessons safely and efficiently. Virtual reality allows your students to explore worlds they might not otherwise see. We offer some suggestions on how to use VR in your classrooom.
July 11, 2022Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps or JROTC
JROTC offers valuable lessons in leadership, character-building and citizenship. Here's a look at the various JROTC programs out there together with a look at the pros and cons of the program.
July 05, 2022Teaching: Contract Renewal
Most teaching contracts are year-to-year, or longer if you're eligible. Here are some suggestions for safeguarding your employment.