Independence Elementary School
Independence Elementary School places among the top 20% of public schools in Virginia for:
- Category Attribute
- Math Proficiency Highest math proficiency (Top 20%)
- Community Size Largest student body (number of students) (Top 10%)
- Independence Elementary School's student population of 222 students has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
- The teacher population of 13 teachers has declined by 13% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Prekindergarten-5|
|Total Students||222 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||13 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Independence Elementary School is ranked within the top 50% of all 1,791 schools in Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-18 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 17:1 has increased from 15:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School||State Level (VA)|
|Overall Testing Rank||#615 out of 1791 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient) (16-17)||85-89%|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||75-79%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||17:1||15:1|
|Two or more races||n/a|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|Eligible for Reduced Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||Grayson County School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Independence Grayson County High Career & Technical Education
110 Blue Devil Drive
Independence, VA 24348
(276) 773-2951 0.7 n/a n/a
- Galax Baywood Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 125 students
247 Grammar Lane
Galax, VA 24333
(276) 236-4868 6.8 PK-5 125
- Sparta Alleghany High School Grades: 9-12 | 436 students
404 Trojan Avenue
Sparta, NC 28675
(336) 372-4554 7.6 9-12 436
Gangs, drugs, and guns may be more prevalent on public school campuses than parents think. Learn about the high percentage of public school students who are exposed to these dangers each day – and what parents can do to protect their kids.
President Obama’s My Brother’s Keeper initiative aims to improve academic opportunities for students of color, especially African-American boys.
Learn about how public schools across the country are mandating community service hours in order to graduate.