Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District
- For the 2020 school year, there are 4 public schools in Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District, serving 1,505 students.
- Public school in Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District have an average math proficiency score of 89% (versus the Iowa public school average of 77%), and reading proficiency score of 86% (versus the 75% statewide average). This district's average school ranking is in the top 10% of public schools in Iowa.
- Minority enrollment is 6% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the Iowa public school average of 24% (majority Hispanic).
- The student:teacher ratio of 14:1 is less than the Iowa public school average of 15:1.
|School District Name||Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District|
|School District Website||http://www.vscsd.org|
|School District Phone Number||(319)436-4728|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (IA)|
|# of Schools||4 Schools||1,330 Schools|
|# of Students||1,505 Students||502,459 Students|
|# of Teachers||107 Teachers||34,396 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||14:1||15:1|
- Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District, which is ranked within the top 10% of all 332 school districts in Iowa (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-2017 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 85-89% has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (IA)|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||2 Students||1,874 Students|
|% American Indian Students||n/a||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||3 Students||12,683 Students|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||34 Students||54,404 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||12 Students||30,879 Students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||1,411 Students||381,240 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||1 Student||1,350 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||42 Students||20,029 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||74||22,072|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||110||38,247|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||94||34,902|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||117||36,010|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||99||36,631|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||104||37,922|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||101||37,957|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||114||37,546|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||121||37,038|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||123||36,371|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||113||37,643|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||112||37,027|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||109||36,147|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||114||36,946|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-||-|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $10,769 is higher than the state average of $10,550. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $10,078 is less than the state average of $10,645. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (IA)|
|Total Revenue||$18 MM||$7 MM|
|Spending||$17 MM||$8 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$10,769||$10,550|
|Spending / Student||$10,078||$10,645|
Vinton-Shellsburg Community School District Public Schools (2020)
School (Math/Reading Proficiency)
- Shellsburg Elementary School 203 Cottage St
Shellsburg, IA 52332
Grades: PK-5 | 251 students
- Tilford Elementary School 308 E 13th St
Vinton, IA 52349
Grades: PK-4 | 448 students
- Vinton-shellsburg High School 210 W. 21st St.
Vinton, IA 52349
Grades: 9-12 | 448 students
- Vinton-shellsburg Middle School 212 W. 15th St.
Vinton, IA 52349
Grades: 6-8 | 358 students
We take a look at a recent call by U.S. health officials to change public policies involving sports-related head trauma injuries, and how some states are already answering the call.
Keep your kids out of the summer rut! Learn how summer break impacts students’ academic performance in the fall and what can be done to prevent the academic summer slide.
What happens when a sweltering heat wave hits the Midwest? Public schools cancel many summer activities. Learn more about how school districts are coping with triple digit temperatures.