Johnson Elementary School
Johnson Elementary School serves 621 students in grades Prekindergarten-5.
Johnson Elementary School placed in the top 10% of all schools in West Virginia for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 10%, and reading proficiency is top 20%) for the 2018-19 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is 64% (which is higher than the West Virginia state average of 38%) for the 2018-19 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is 59% (which is higher than the West Virginia state average of 45%) for the 2017-18 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 17:1 is higher than the West Virginia state level of 14:1.
Minority enrollment is 10% of the student body (majority Asian), which is lower than the West Virginia state average of 11% (majority Black and Hispanic).
- Grades: Prekindergarten-5
- Students: 621 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 17:1
- Minority Enrollment: 10%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 10% in WV
- Math Proficiency: 64% (Top 10%)
- Reading Proficiency: 59% (Top 20%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), WV Dept. of Education
Johnson Elementary School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in West Virginia for:
Reading/Language Arts Proficiency
Johnson Elementary School's student population of 621 students has grown by 11% over five school years.
The teacher population of 37 teachers has grown by 15% over five school years.
(offers virtual instruction)
(offers virtual instruction)
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Johnson Elementary School is ranked within the top 10% of all 638 schools in West Virginia (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2018-19 school year.
The diversity score of Johnson Elementary School is 0.19, which is less than the diversity score at state average of 0.20. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2020-2021 School Year Data
State Level (WV)
Overall Testing Rank
#54 out of 638 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)(17-18)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2020-2021 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), WV Dept. of Education
Review Johnson Elementary School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
Teaching: Using Virtual Reality
Virtual Reality can enhance your lessons safely and efficiently. Virtual reality allows your students to explore worlds they might not otherwise see. We offer some suggestions on how to use VR in your classrooom.
July 11, 2022Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps or JROTC
JROTC offers valuable lessons in leadership, character-building and citizenship. Here's a look at the various JROTC programs out there together with a look at the pros and cons of the program.
July 05, 2022Teaching: Contract Renewal
Most teaching contracts are year-to-year, or longer if you're eligible. Here are some suggestions for safeguarding your employment.