RSU 57/MSAD 57 School District
- For the 2020-21 school year, there are 7 public schools in RSU 57/MSAD 57 School District, serving 3,014 students. RSU 57/MSAD 57 School District has one of the highest concentrations of top ranked public schools in Maine.
- Public schools in RSU 57/MSAD 57 School District have an average math proficiency score of 36% (versus the Maine public school average of 37%), and reading proficiency score of 48% (versus the 50% statewide average). This district's average testing ranking is 5/10, which is in the bottom 50% of public schools in Maine.
- Minority enrollment is 4% of the student body (majority Hispanic), which is less than the Maine public school average of 11% (majority Black and Hispanic).
- The student:teacher ratio of 13:1 is more than the Maine public school average of 12:1.
|School District Name||RSU 57/MSAD 57 School District|
|School District Website||http://www.rsu57.org|
|School District Phone Number||(207) 247-3221|
|School District Grades Offered||PK - 12|
|2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||This State (ME)|
|# of Schools||7 Schools||602 Schools|
|# of Students||3,014 Students||175,788 Students|
|# of Teachers||225 Teachers||14,755 Teachers|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||13:1||12:1|
- RSU 57/MSAD 57 School District, which is ranked within the bottom 50% of all 195 school districts in Maine (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2017-2018 school year.
- The school district's graduation rate of 89% has increased from 83% over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2017-2018 School Year Data||This School District||State Average (ME)|
|Overall Testing Rank||#113 out of 230 school districts|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)|
|Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)|
Students by Ethnicity:
|# of American Indian Students||7 Students||1,499 Students|
|% American Indian Students||n/a|
|# of Asian Students||13 Students||2,627 Students|
|% Asian Students||n/a|
|# of Hispanic Students||42 Students||3,940 Students|
|% Hispanic Students|
|# of Black Students||21 Students||6,453 Students|
|% Black Students|
|# of White Students||2,886 Students||156,650 Students|
|% White Students|
|# of Hawaiian Students||n/a||195 Students|
|% of Hawaiian Students||n/a||n/a|
|# of Two or more races Students||45 Students||4,424 Students|
|% of Two or more races Students|
Students by Grade:
|# of Students in Pre-Kindergarten:||64||5,595|
|# of Students in Kindergarten:||231||12,579|
|# of Students in 1st Grade:||201||12,547|
|# of Students in 2nd Grade:||223||12,683|
|# of Students in 3rd Grade:||215||13,247|
|# of Students in 4th Grade:||248||13,340|
|# of Students in 5th Grade:||219||13,715|
|# of Students in 6th Grade:||228||13,474|
|# of Students in 7th Grade:||233||13,797|
|# of Students in 8th Grade:||222||13,732|
|# of Students in 9th Grade:||229||12,731|
|# of Students in 10th Grade:||223||12,700|
|# of Students in 11th Grade:||233||12,790|
|# of Students in 12th Grade:||245||12,858|
|# of Ungraded Students:||-||-|
Fiscal Data Comparison
- The revenue/student of $14,275 in this school district is less than the state median of $14,842. The school district revenue/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
- The school district's spending/student of $13,465 is less than the state median of $14,515. The school district spending/student has stayed relatively flat over four school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017||This School District||This State (ME)|
|Total Revenue||$43 MM||$6 MM|
|Spending||$41 MM||$6 MM|
|Revenue / Student||$14,275||$14,842|
|Revenue / Student||$13,465||$14,515|
RSU 57/MSAD 57 School District Public Schools (2020-21)
- School (Math and Reading Proficiency) Location Grades Students
- Shapleigh Memorial School 467 Shapleigh Corner Road
Shapleigh, ME 04076
Grades: PK-5 | 151 students
- Lyman Elementary School 39 Schoolhouse Road
Alfred, ME 04002
Grades: PK-5 | 228 students
- Alfred Elementary School 21 Sanford Road
Alfred, ME 04002
Grades: K-5 | 208 students
- Line Elementary School 818 Water Street
West Newfield, ME 04095
Grades: PK-5 | 306 students
- Waterboro Elementary School 340 Sokokis Trail
East Waterboro, ME 04030
Grades: K-5 | 508 students
- Massabesic Middle School 134 Old Alfred Road
East Waterboro, ME 04030
Grades: 6-8 | 683 students
- Massabesic High School 88 West Road
Waterboro, ME 04087
Grades: 9-12 | 930 students
Learn about whether or not public school students are prepared to enter into the "real world" upon graduation, and how schools are changing their curriculum to meet changing economic needs.
Many school districts are hiking up the price of school lunches this year. We’ll take a look at some of the reasons for the trend, including the child nutritional bill that President Obama signed into law last year.
There is no denying that being a public school teacher has its challenges, but some are more apparent than others. Keep reading to learn about the top ten challenges facing public school teachers this year.