Mary D Mitchell School serves 467 students in grades Kindergarten-5.
Mary D Mitchell School placed in the top 30% of all schools in Michigan for overall test scores (math proficiency is top 20%, and reading proficiency is top 50%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The percentage of students achieving proficiency in math is <50% (which is higher than the Michigan state average of 36%) for the 2020-21 school year. The percentage of students achieving proficiency in reading/language arts is ≥50% (which is higher than the Michigan state average of 48%) for the 2020-21 school year.
The student:teacher ratio of 13:1 is lower than the Michigan state level of 17:1.
Minority enrollment is 61% of the student body (majority Black and Hispanic), which is higher than the Michigan state average of 36% (majority Black and Hispanic).
- Grades: Kindergarten-5
- Enrollment: 467 students
- Student:Teacher Ratio: 13:1
- Minority Enrollment: 61%
- Overall Testing Rank: Top 30% in MI
- Math Proficiency: <50% (Top 20%)
- Reading Proficiency: ≥50% (Top 50%)
- Source: National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), MI Dept. of Education
Mary D Mitchell School ranks among the top 20% of public schools in Michigan for:
Mary D Mitchell School's student population of 467 students has grown by 28% over five school years.
The teacher population of 36 teachers has grown by 56% over five school years.
(offers virtual instruction)
(offers virtual instruction)
Total Classroom Teachers
Students by Grade
Mary D Mitchell School is ranked within the top 30% of all 2,925 schools in Michigan (based off of combined math and reading proficiency testing data) for the 2020-21 school year.
The diversity score of Mary D Mitchell School is 0.74, which is more than the diversity score at state average of 0.55. The school's diversity has stayed relatively flat over five school years.
Definition of Terms 2021-2022 School Year Data
State Level (MI)
Overall Testing Rank
#699 out of 2925 schools
Math Test Scores (% Proficient)
Reading/Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)
Student : Teacher Ratio
Two or more races
All Ethnic Groups
Participates in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
Eligible for Free Lunch
Eligible for Reduced Lunch
School Statewide Testing
School District Name
Source: 2021-2022 (latest school year available) National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), MI Dept. of Education
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Mary D Mitchell School's ranking?
Mary D Mitchell School is ranked #699 out of 2,925 schools, which ranks it among the top 30% of public schools in Michigan.
What percent of students have achieved state testing proficiency in math and reading?
<50% of students have achieved math proficiency (compared to the 36% MI state average), while ≥50% of students have achieved reading proficiency (compared to the 48% MI state average).
How many students attend Mary D Mitchell School?
467 students attend Mary D Mitchell School.
What is the racial composition of the student body?
39% of Mary D Mitchell School students are White, 23% of students are Black, 22% of students are Hispanic, 12% of students are Two or more races, and 4% of students are Asian.
What is the student:teacher ratio of Mary D Mitchell School?
Mary D Mitchell School has a student ration of 13:1, which is lower than the Michigan state average of 17:1.
What grades does Mary D Mitchell School offer ?
Mary D Mitchell School offers enrollment in grades Kindergarten-5 (offers virtual instruction).
What school district is Mary D Mitchell School part of?
Mary D Mitchell School is part of Ann Arbor Public Schools School District.
Review Mary D Mitchell School. Reviews should be a few sentences in length. Please include any comments on:
- Quality of academic programs, teachers, and facilities
- Availability of music, art, sports and other extracurricular activities
The Link between Music and a Child’s Math Abilities
Learn about the influence of music on a child’s cognitive mathematical abilities.
August 04, 2023Preparing for a Successful 'Back to School'
A one-stop guide for parents navigating the 'back to school' season, providing practical and effective strategies tailored to every grade level - from pre-K to high school.
July 25, 2023The Evolving Role of Interim Assessments
Explore the often-overlooked tool in K-12 education - interim assessments. Understand what they are, their importance, and how they can enhance your child's learning experience. Dive into real-world case studies and find out how technology is changing the game. This informative, parent-friendly article aims to shed light on the value of these assessments in today's educational landscape.