Top Massachusetts Alternative Public Schools
- For the 2018-19 school year, there are 17 top alternative public schools in Massachusetts, serving 3,425 students.
- Alternative schools aim to help students whose needs may not be successfully met in regular schools.
- Students who attend alternative schools and may be at risk of educational failure (as indicated by poor grades, truancy, disruptive behavior, pregnancy, or similar factors associated with temporary or permanent withdrawal from school).
- Minority enrollment is 79% of the student body (majority Black and Hispanic), which is more than the Massachusetts state average of 37%.
- The student:teacher ratio of 12:1 is less than the state average of 13:1.
Top Massachusetts Alternative Public Schools (2018-19)
- School Location Grades Students
- Fall River Acese Elementary School 803 Bedford Street
Fall River, MA 02723
Grades: 3-5 | n/a students
- Brighton Another Course To College 20 Warren Street
Brighton, MA 02135
Grades: 9-12 | 237 students
- Boston Boston Adult Academy 20 Church St
Boston, MA 02116
Grades: 11-12 | 170 students
- Roslindale Boston Collaborative High School 515 Hyde Park Avenue
Roslindale, MA 02131
Grades: 8-12 | 190 students
- Chicopee Chicopee Academy 12 Dare Way
Chicopee, MA 01020
Grades: 6-12 | 101 students
- Roxbury Crossing Fenway High School 67 Alleghany St
Roxbury Crossing, MA 02120
Grades: 9-12 | 337 students
- Gardner Gardner Academy For Learning And Technology 75 E Broadway Street
Gardner, MA 01440
Grades: 9-12 | 77 students
- Springfield Gateway To College At Springfield Technical Community Colleg High School 1 Armory Square
Springfield, MA 01102
Grades: 9-12 | 67 students
- Cambridge Graham And Parks Elementary School 44 Linnaean Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Grades: PK-5 | 363 students
- Cambridge King Open Elementary School 850 Cambridge Street
Cambridge, MA 02141
Grades: PK-5 | 320 students
- Winchendon Murdock Academy For Success 3 Memorial Drive
Winchendon, MA 01475
Grades: 6-12 | 32 students
- Hyde Park New Mission High School 655 Metropolitan Ave
Hyde Park, MA 02136
Grades: 9-12 | 319 students
- Bellingham Paul J. Primavera Jr./sr. High School 80 Harpin Street
Bellingham, MA 02019
Grades: 7-12 | 32 students
- Lawrence Phoenix Academy Lawrence 15 Union Street
Lawrence, MA 01841
Grades: 9-12 | 114 students
- Taunton Taunton Alternative High School 120 Cohannet Street
Taunton, MA 02780
Grades: 8-12 | 87 students
- Mattapan Young Achievers Elementary School 20 Outlook Road
Mattapan, MA 02126
Grades: PK-8 | 542 students
The Common Core State Standards Initiative has changed the course of education in the United States, particularly with its emphasis on standardized testing. But how does standardized testing affect teaching quality? Keep reading to find out.
When asked to rank the quality of their child's school a B average. And yet politicians would have you believe that the American public-school system is failing. How are America's public schools really doing, and how do we know?
The high school graduation rate is in a constant state of change and dropout rates affect more than the individual student. Read on to learn about factors influencing high school graduation rates and what schools can do to improve them.