Mayfair Laboratory School
Mayfair Laboratory School places among the top 20% of public schools in Louisiana for:
- Category Attribute
- Overall Rank Highest overall rank (Top 5%)
- Math Proficiency Highest math proficiency (Top 5%)
- Reading Language/Arts Proficiency Highest reading language/arts proficiency (Top 5%)
- Diversity Most diverse schools (Top 10%)
- Student Attention Lowest teacher:student ratio (Top 5%)
- Mayfair Laboratory School's student population of 343 students has grown by 61% over five school years.
- The teacher population of 54 teachers has grown by 170% over five school years.
|Grades Offered||Grades Kindergarten-8|
|Total Students||343 students|
|Total Classroom Teachers||54 teachers|
|Students by Grade|
- Mayfair Laboratory School is ranked within the top 5% of all 1,278 schools in Louisiana (based off of combined Math and Reading proficiency testing data) for the 2016-17 school year.
- The school's student:teacher ratio of 6:1 has decreased from 11:1 over five school years.
|Definition of Terms 2016-2017 School Year Data||This School||State Level (LA)|
|Overall School Rank||#33 out of 1278 schools|
|Math Test Scores (% Proficient)||90-94%|
|Reading / Language Arts Test Scores (% Proficient)||≥95%|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||15:1|
|All Ethnic Groups|
|Eligible for Free Lunch|
|School Statewide Testing||View Education Department Test Scores|
|School District Name||East Baton Rouge Parish School District|
Nearby Public Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Baton Rouge Greenville Superintendent's Academy Grades: 5-8 | 117 students
1645 North Foster Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70806
(225)767-1477 1.0 5-8 117
- Baton Rouge Wildwood Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 530 students
444 Halfway Tree Rd
Baton Rouge, LA 70810
(225)766-6002 1.0 PK-5 530
- Baton Rouge Magnolia Woods Elementary School Grades: PK-5 | 574 students
760 Maxine Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
(225)769-6845 1.2 PK-5 574
- Baton Rouge Kenilworth Science And Technology Charter School Grades: 6-8 | 577 students
7600 Boone Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
(225)766-8111 1.7 6-8 577
- Baton Rouge South Baton Rouge Charter Academy Grades: K-8 | 584 students
9211 Parkway Drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70810
(225)349-7489 1.9 K-8 584
I cannot say in words how thankful I am for Mayfair Lab but I will try. The curriculum is aggressive, homework is given to kindergarteners, students are expected to conduct themselves appropriately. That is all true. In return, the teachers really do care about each and every student. They are the kind of teachers you dream of: educated (Masters-level), fun, compassionate and creative. They are truly invested in my son. The students have harvested and grown their own flower, fruit and vegetable gardens. This year, Mayfair Lab was one of only two Louisiana schools (plus one university - LSU) recognized as a Green Ribbon School by the US Dept of Education. The morning announcements are broadcast by students similar to a news station via the school's Youtube channel. Academics is their primary focus with environmental and digital arts studies. The parents are very involved as well. I didn't know a school this awesome even existed. I love Mayfair Lab!
- Posted by Parent - Amber
IMayfair does an exceptional job of going above and beyond in ensuring the success of every student. They go so far as to offer free tutoring to help student who feel they need reinforcement and better understanding in key subject areas before Spring testing. During the year teachers make sure they maintain open communications with parents. They do what they can within the constraints of time and regular instruction schedules to listen and understand every child`s needs. I find talking to teachers and staff to be fairly easy. There are many events, field trips and meetings throughout the year with which to steal a minute or two to touch base. All in all, this school is not for everyone. Children who lack the ability to focus, or are easily distracted may find it difficult to keep up with the pace. It`s a Laboratory School, very structure, but nurturing. There`s a time to work..and a time to play. Our children love it and thrive beautifully.
- Posted by Parent - PJ
This school is patterned after the often lauded LSU Lab School. Since this is a magnet school, of course the students have to test into the school and maintain a certain GPA in order to stay. I understand all that. However, my experience has been that the teachers throw out a bunch of information and just hope that it sticks. There is no real concern for whether or not the children actually understand what was taught. They leave it to the CHILDREN to ASK for help and low grades are ignored as an indicator that a child may not understand a particular lesson. They roll right on to the next lesson, leaving any child that may not have understood to fall behind. Also, because these children are considered "smart", there is no tutoring provided EXCEPT when they believe it will impact the schools overall grade. I have not been impressed at all by this school. They talk a good game, but in my opinion, that's all it is.
- Posted by Parent - Hairs